The new "EPA Friendly Portable Fuel Tank" and my "not-so-EPA friendly" 1995 Force 120

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney

Commander
The new "EPA Friendly Portable Fuel Tank" and my "not-so-EPA friendly" 1995 Force 120

I'm running my '95 120 on a portable tank until I know for certain what's inside the built-in. Previous Owner is believed to have not used this boat a lot recently, and I don't care for the "varnish smell" when I open the fuel fill door. So, the way I've been "raised" is 'When in doubt, drop back and punt'. I even went to the effort to have the dealer throw in a 12 gallon plastic tank, little did I know there had been a "change" to way a tank is constructed.

I've learned a little bit about these new tanks, mainly the hard way. First day in the driveway, noticed the tank "swelling" quite a bit and saw it was forcing gas to the motor where it was leaking at the connection and running down the leg. I initially thought it was the heat & sun until I went to start it after the maintenance was done and noticed it still leaking at this connection. So, I did the smart thing and came inside and searched iboats looking for an answer.

Which leads me to here. What I haven't found was what I need to add to my outboard to compensate for this different tank. I've found a Mercury Bulletin that talks about an "in-line vent", is this the thing to buy? I went so far this past weekend to just switch out to my good old 6 gallon tanks (I still have two of these), but I'd prefer to use the new one if it would work right. I also noticed that on the new tank, the bulb doesn't get hard? The more I pump the more gas leak at the motor. With the old tanks, no leaks so I can pretty much assume the two (engine & new tank) aren't "communicating". Having the vent fully opened made no difference, although having the cap removed did. Just don't want to be out on the Gulf at WOT with fuel cap laying on the deck.

What's the proper way to set-up for these new tanks?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Re: The new "EPA Friendly Portable Fuel Tank" and my "not-so-EPA friendly" 1995 Force

Re: The new "EPA Friendly Portable Fuel Tank" and my "not-so-EPA friendly" 1995 Force

Definately not the "proper way", and won't get me very many kudos with the air regulatory folks, but when my boat will be sitting for awhile I just loosen the filler cap to the point where the pressure releases and let it sit in that position. Seems to work in that the motor is not spewing gas all over the parking area while it sits.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Yeah, in their infinite wisdom ? they decided to seal the tank, forgetting that the hose is not sealed and when under pressure, it will spew gas. Much more than the gram or 2 of fumes that might have escaped the tank.

There are several now illegal ways to vent the tank.

59Hustler

Petty Officer 3rd Class
What is needed is a fuel demand valve Atwood and several other manufacturers make them. I just read about this yesterday when looking for where to put my water separation filter. This is the answer that the boating community came up with after trying to sort out the mess the EPA caused. Atwoods is PN 9300FDV7 for 3/8 and 5/16 line. It goes in series after the filter
https://forums.iboats.com/articles/...4761-product-review-attwood-fuel-demand-valve

Status
Not open for further replies.