Wiring diagram for Force 125 on 1988 Bayliner Capri needed - no start

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Kinda excited and bummed at the same time. Just brought home a 1988 Bayliner Capri that has an outboard Force 125. Model 1251X8C. PO said all was good and he had just run it a few days ago. Yeah, right! Turned the key over and the starter did not crank. Spent a half hour tracing down all the wires from the starter to the battery and down to the starter switch. I found the following:

1. Kill switch is open circuit regardless of button position
2. Round plastic case mounted next to ignition switch (backside of dash) with two leads had only the orange wire connected. The black wire had broken free. No clue as to what this dashpot does?
3. Neutral switch on engine block is NO switch and is closed (0 ohms) when throttle is in neutral position.

I really would like to walk through all the electronics on this thing while I have the time. Does anyone have a quality (good print/images) wiring diagram for this boat/motor combo?

Thanks,

Aaron

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wiring diagram for Force 125 on 1988 Bayliner Capri needed - no start

Unfortunatly most boat wiring diagrams come from the factory,Bayliner.
The motor diagrams don't help much.
Orange wire@black thingy,That's the overheat buzzer.
It should be connected to the ignition.
Neutral safety switch(yellow/black leads)
It should be aligned with the linkage and pushed in to make the circut.
There is a fuse under the dash make sure they are all working,making connection.
Test light at the starter solenoid.
Ground light,then have someone turn key.
Touch light at yellow/black lead on solenoid.No light,not getting power from key.
Touch light at both main terminals,should get light on both.
No light on the one connected to the starter.The solenoid is bad.
Light on the starter lead,bad starter.

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Turned out to be the neutral safety start switch was not properly aligned. Just needed a nudge to complete the circuit. Thanks for the information. Do you have suggestions on where best to get parts for the 1988 Force 125 engine and tilt/trim?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

What parts?
T/T ,Tune up etc?

ahickman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Not knowing what other issues lie there will be on this new-to-me boat, I guess a good general resource for parts that are OEM quality and are not a brand that sometimes fits, other times does like AutoZone sometimes has with automobile parts. I am not wealthy, so performance parts are not desireable either. I see several posts that mention http://www.crowleymarine.com/ and the iboat.com website.