!988 Force 85 HP Ignition switch wiring info

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need ignition switch wiring info for a 1988 Force 85 HP outboard; My old switch is a 3 position, push to choke with 6 posts; labeled counter clockwise with post (I) appearing to be off position; I, M, B, C, S, M; it has a 1 in barrel. The only replacement switch I can find (F5H268) 1/2 inch barrel..has different post markings; labeled counter clockwise, with post (B) as off position; B, M, A, C, S, M. The wires on my harness to old switch; I-red wire with blue stripe; M-double white; B-double red; C-green; S-yellow; M-Blue. Does anyone know how the wires should be connected on new switch?

Thanks
Any help greatly appreciated.

shytownborn

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: !988 Force 85 HP Ignition switch wiring info

your b term gets the red battery, yellow to s, start, green to c choke, your blue and white to either m it dont make a difference which one goes where, kill switch , i believe the a is for accesesory which is not needed

your b term gets the red battery, yellow to s, start, green to c choke, your blue and white to either m it dont make a difference which one goes where, kill switch , i believe the a is for accesesory which is not needed

Thanks for the info; My switch wiring has two red wires...one with a blue stripe connected to the (I) terminal on old switch, which seems to be the stop position. the other red wire is actually 2 wires (one heavy gauge, one smaller gauge) and is connected to the (B) terminal so I am not sure what to do with the second red wire.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

ALL red wires are power. The heavy red is power from battery to the switch and connects to the "B" terminal. The second thin red wire is probably power to the tilt/trim switch. You want power to it all the time so you can raise the engine while the switch is off. The "A" terminal replaces the "I" terminal and is switched power to "A"ccessories.--usually gauges which you want off when the engine is off and usually also the overheat indicator. That way, if you do overheat the engine and turn it off, the indicator will not continuously buzz until the engine cools.

One "M" is a double white because one of the white wires goes to the kill switch while the other comes from the CD box. "M" terminals are in continuity when the switch is off and ground the white wire from the CD box through the blue connected to the other "M" and ground at the engine terminal board. They are open with the switch on. If you go overboard with the engine running, this does you no good so the second white is attached to a kill switch which will ground and stop the engine when the lanyard and clip is removed from the switch (by falling overboard)

ALL red wires are power. The heavy red is power from battery to the switch and connects to the "B" terminal. The second thin red wire is probably power to the tilt/trim switch. You want power to it all the time so you can raise the engine while the switch is off. The "A" terminal replaces the "I" terminal and is switched power to "A"ccessories.--usually gauges which you want off when the engine is off and usually also the overheat indicator. That way, if you do overheat the engine and turn it off, the indicator will not continuously buzz until the engine cools.

One "M" is a double white because one of the white wires goes to the kill switch while the other comes from the CD box. "M" terminals are in continuity when the switch is off and ground the white wire from the CD box through the blue connected to the other "M" and ground at the engine terminal board. They are open with the switch on. If you go overboard with the engine running, this does you no good so the second white is attached to a kill switch which will ground and stop the engine when the lanyard and clip is removed from the switch (by falling overboard)

Excellent info, this answers all my questions on the wiring of the newer model switch, and what each wire specifically does.

Thank you very much.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
How to hook ignition switch up a 1985 force motor the boat is 1988 maxum boat

Please start a new thread. This one is over 6 years old. Include what motor you need help with, 1985 Force doesn't tell us much.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.