1986 bayliner force tilt fluid change

chrisaw0811

Cadet
Hello everyone. I have a 1986 force 125 outboard and the tilt is low on fluid (i think). What is your recomendation for fluid in that and how would i go about filling it? I need help asap because i wanted to take the boat out this weekend. Thanks in advance, Chris

foodfisher

Captain
Re: 1986 bayliner force tilt fluid change

Match existing fluid. 30 wt. nondetergent oil, (oil color). ATF (pink). OR hydraulic oil (don't know and doubtful)

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

View attachment oilcan.bmp
Like food said,figure out what 's in there.
Pink/red is T/T fluid.
The other is probably 30wt.
I use the oil can to fill,works great.
Then while it's DOWN remove the cap and fill.
Then cycle it a couple of times,then fill again.
Do this till it stops taking oil.

RRitt

Captain

1972-1987 factory original can use any fluid. ISO32 hydraulic oil is best in warm climates. AW32 is best in colder climates.

1988-1992 and all aftermarket valve bodies should use 30W non detergent motor oil. If you use a thinner oil then the engine may buck while lowering. This can be mildly offset by using a non detergent motor oil in the shock absorber.

1992-1994 Eaton pumps should use iso32 or aw32.

Certain blends of ATF can be used on the Eaton pumps but run the risk of causing oring failure on big engines. At very high pressure something in the ATF impregnates the rubber and causes it to become fragile. ISO32 is a better choice than ATF with equal or better anti-foaming, moisture absorbtion, anti-shearing, and seal protection qualities.