Chrysler 30 hp (303h9c) Tiller to remote steering conversion

Haphazardly

Cadet
Newb here with a favor to ask regarding converting my outboard from tiller to remote steering. Was just wondering if anyone with a similar motor could snap a pic of the link and it's connection to the motor. The accessories section in the parts list show parts f137, f165 as "remote steering brackets" which are of course obsolete. also a measuement of the links length would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

fucawi

Banned
Re: Chrysler 30 hp (303h9c) Tiller to remote steering conversion

There is a bracket mounted to the front of the engine casing in stainless equivalent to a bit of 2 x 2 angle iron. Your remote cable comes into the motor from the " steering wheel side " which in most of the world is Starboard ( right ) and sticks out the outboard on the left (port) ...you just centre your wheel and link up and to the right with some 3/8 bar and a gimble ..I have used threaded rod in the past ..may find a photo later.

Haphazardly

Cadet

Thanks fucwai. That's kind of what i had been envisioning. I just wasn't sure if the bracket mounted to the front of the motor or to the existing tiller mount.

fucawi

Banned

Centre front of motor for the bracket and the steering cable goes through the tilt piviot tube .its a standard thread ...I am asssuming you are not using rope and pulley ..thats crap.

Haphazardly

Cadet

No pulleys, got a new rack and pinion going in. Think I might need to get creative with the bracket though. I have a t and r Chrysler link that appears to be a little short. I'm thinking art 2" offset to the port side will allow full travel lock to lock.

fucawi

Banned

With the new rack screwed into the OB and the inner half out you fit the wheel at centre. Then centre the engine... Bar comes up from the rack abut 2 in then 90 deg across to the motor with a universal joint similar to a track rod end. The rack inner can rotate and so can the joint so nothing binds. Dont think you should offset anything ..if the link is the right length no problem ..use some 3/s thrreaded rod then you can adjust it all .

Attachments

• A73_1_-121x250-72x150.jpg
    A73_1_-121x250-72x150.jpg
    2.1 KB · Views: 0

Haphazardly

Cadet

2011-12-04_16-27-06_941-1.jpg

Looks like no bracket was needed. used 3/8-24 threaded rod with a rod end and some nylock nuts. Works as it should. Nice and smooth with the new rack. Now i just have to mount the control box,install my tiny tach, do some minnor tuning,wire a kill switch to the helm, and should be good to go.

thanks again.

fucawi

Banned

oh bugger you are so right ..Its the 35 series needs the bracket bolted on ..looks good to me...now a nice bit of black flexible tube over the threaded rod so you wont see the rust and its perfect !!!!