1972 45hp chrysler control cable help

Jan Svade

Cadet
Hi all. New to the forum, new to boats. I recently bought my first boat which is a late 60's pride/(caribbean) spitfire with a 72 chrysler 45hp. I took the boat to a local shop and then a another guy who works on older boats and both said that the control cables are attached incorrectly. Looking at some of the pictures of control cables in the threads, mine look ok. Firstly, would anyone have a clear picture of how the control cables mount on the side of the powerhead, and secondly if mine are ok, why the boat shop guys think that they are backwards/wrong/modified. I am unable to supply a picture of my setup until tomorrow (night time and raining!). Thanks anyone and everyone in advance.

Jan Svade

Cadet
Re: 1972 45hp chrysler control cable help

Further info if needed. I think the box is morse? single level with neutral button. I have not had the boat on the water, but the prop spins when I put it in gear. It looks like it works, but I am being told that it is wrong and the second guy said it won't go into gear because of the cable setup.07102011745.jpg07102011747.jpg07102011746.jpg

Last edited:

NetDoc

Chief Petty Officer

I have a morse lever set and talked about getting it right here: Frozen Morse Lever Set. The forward set of gears operates the carb, while the hind ones do the shifting. Once I pulled it apart the operation became pretty apparent.

Jan Svade

Cadet

Control cable issue may be academic. Check the lower unit!! Me thinks the big crack on either side of the case and the oil with vaseline consistency is bad news.

Attachments

• 08102011748.jpg
    08102011748.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 0

Jan Svade

Cadet

Possibly not so bad. I cleaned up the vaseline and it appears to come from the seal where the shaft comes out of the lower unit. The oil in the case is old but not water affected. Is it possible that the crack is in the forward solid section of the case and doesn't reach into the case itself?? The next job then will be to track down the bulged seal/gasket. If someone has a part number diagram, maybe I can find one.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

boats.net and go to this page, 45 (1974) Mercury Chrysler Outboard 464BB GEAR HOUSING Diagram and Parts

It has the seal listed there.J

Jan Svade

Cadet

Thanks for the parts advice. I think I have hijacked my own thread, ooops. Does anyone have a tip on the cable routing issue (post 1 and 2).

Jan Svade

Cadet

Mine is a 1967 45 HP. Here is a link to a picture of how mine is hooked up. Wish you well

http://home.comcast.net/~printergod2000/Linkage1.jpg

Thanks for that, perfect. Mine is exactly like that. As I mentioned in the previous post two different boat service shops said that the cables are backwards and the moving part should be at the end of the cable, not on the sleeve. One even said that a previous owner must have added a bracket or drilled a new hole. Neither one had a particular love for Chrysler, but the ignorance they showed is not too good!

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Mine has worked just fine this way for 15 years. Most of the people who still own Chryslers are their own mechanics for two main reasons. Nobody will work on them anymore and if a Mechanic works on it and something goes wrong with it they can be held accountable for it. Good luck finding those coils. I doubt if anyone makes them anymore. Hope you get it running. Mine has been a good runner since I got it. I love the old look to it. A day when things were made from real materials and made by hand. When I take my carb apart I marvel at the quality of it over the junk I see in modern two stroke things. Good luck with it and I hope you get it running.

Jan Svade

Cadet

Mine has worked just fine this way for 15 years. Most of the people who still own Chryslers are their own mechanics for two main reasons. Nobody will work on them anymore and if a Mechanic works on it and something goes wrong with it they can be held accountable for it. Good luck finding those coils. I doubt if anyone makes them anymore. Hope you get it running. Mine has been a good runner since I got it. I love the old look to it. A day when things were made from real materials and made by hand. When I take my carb apart I marvel at the quality of it over the junk I see in modern two stroke things. Good luck with it and I hope you get it running.

Thanks for the cable advice, but didn't have any trouble with the coils. I do also like that solid made in USA from back in the day.

I just picked up a 1978 45hp for $81. The cable setup is the same and the cables are almost new. (mine had cracked sleeves) I can also swap out the lower unit from mine and have many spares such as the throttle linkage which would be impossible to get.

Takes me back to the days when I drove my Lemon yellow Charger.