Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today

Announcement

Collapse

Help Tip: If you have a question that has not been answered to your satisfaction in the archives, it is always best to start a new thread of your own. By starting your own thread, you will receive the maximum number of views by forum members.

Please note this topic has been inactive for 90 days. For the best results, please start a new topic.

Thank you all in advance for doing your part in helping iboats run a smooth ship.

Additional forum rules linked below.
http://forums.iboats.com/forum-rules-guidelines-405/
See more
See less

89 Force 50 Exhaust Gaskets

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 89 Force 50 Exhaust Gaskets

OK, so on the suggestion of a few people on this forum, I'm gonna replace my exhaust gaskets and see if that helps solve some of my motor issues. I ordered all my stuff from ********** because they seem to carry EVERYTHING and haven't let me down yet. I ordered the port cover gasket and also the port plate gasket. The parts listing says it takes 2 port plate gaskets, and I'm wondering why it takes more than one? Even the diagram they show only shows one gasket, so what's the 2nd one for? I ordered both and am waiting on them so I haven't torn mine apart yet. Anyone have an idea about this?

Re: 89 Force 50 Exhaust Gaskets

There is a stainless plate between the two gaskets that seals the exhaust chamber from water.

Comment

Whats the motor doing that you need to open it up??
      Start with a compression/spark test.Then start at the carb and clean then replace the pump diaphram and all the hoses.Then clean/replace the tank.J

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
      ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

Comment

I've got a new screen and diaphram coming also. The reasoning behind the exhaust gaskets is that it runs MUCH better with the cover off. It will hardly idle when it's warm with it on, and sputters like crazy all the way through. I had a couple suggestions that an exhaust leak under the cover might cause it to act like this, and since it doesnt look like a major job to replace the gaskets I figured i would give it a shot.

Comment

The gasket under the motor is the one to look at first.The side plates you can see if they are a problem.J

​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

Comment

Man, i need to invest in a manual for this motor... That sounds kinda major.

Comment

You're talking about the one on top of the motor leg, right?

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	33-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	7006780Yes That one.See pic #1
                Not really that hard.Just take lots of pics as you go.

Comment

Working...
                X