89 Force 50 Exhaust Gaskets

Nick Godfrey

Seaman Apprentice
OK, so on the suggestion of a few people on this forum, I'm gonna replace my exhaust gaskets and see if that helps solve some of my motor issues. I ordered all my stuff from boats.net because they seem to carry EVERYTHING and haven't let me down yet. I ordered the port cover gasket and also the port plate gasket. The parts listing says it takes 2 port plate gaskets, and I'm wondering why it takes more than one? Even the diagram they show only shows one gasket, so what's the 2nd one for? I ordered both and am waiting on them so I haven't torn mine apart yet. Anyone have an idea about this?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: 89 Force 50 Exhaust Gaskets

There is a stainless plate between the two gaskets that seals the exhaust chamber from water.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Whats the motor doing that you need to open it up??
Start with a compression/spark test.Then start at the carb and clean then replace the pump diaphram and all the hoses.Then clean/replace the tank.J

Nick Godfrey

Seaman Apprentice

I've got a new screen and diaphram coming also. The reasoning behind the exhaust gaskets is that it runs MUCH better with the cover off. It will hardly idle when it's warm with it on, and sputters like crazy all the way through. I had a couple suggestions that an exhaust leak under the cover might cause it to act like this, and since it doesnt look like a major job to replace the gaskets I figured i would give it a shot.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

The gasket under the motor is the one to look at first.The side plates you can see if they are a problem.J

Nick Godfrey

Seaman Apprentice

Man, i need to invest in a manual for this motor... That sounds kinda major.

Nick Godfrey

Seaman Apprentice

You're talking about the one on top of the motor leg, right?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

33-1.jpgYes That one.See pic #1
Not really that hard.Just take lots of pics as you go.