Force 90 piston removal

royal-direct

Cadet
What is the easiest way to change just a piston in a 1990 force ? I once found a detailed post on here about this but cant seem to locate it anymore...now that I need to do it. It was some way to do it easy without totally ripping apart whole engine, I thought.

I can see two star headed screws holding the rod to the shaft, could I remove these thru the reed valve opening? if so, how?
thanks!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Force 90 piston removal

Yep! First remove the head, then remove the carbs and manifold. The big end of the rod is accessible through the reed openings. Be certain that you account for all 16 rollers. Undoubtably some will fall into the crankcase when you remove the rod cap. If missing one, search until you find it. Sometimes they can slip under the crank cheek. Use grease or that special assembly goo to replace the rollers upon assmbly.

However, before replacing the piston this way, assess the damage and decide if the cylinder will need boring oversized

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Usually the whole thing should come apart as the other piston rings should be replaced too.J

royal-direct

Cadet

Yep! First remove the head, then remove the carbs and manifold. The big end of the rod is accessible through the reed openings.

Ok, I was hoping you would say that! now my question is about those two star head screws....best way to remove them?

Attachments

• 2011-07-17_20-13-19_605.jpg
    2011-07-17_20-13-19_605.jpg
    143.3 KB · Views: 3

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

I think they are a 12 pt 1/4 in or 5/16 socket, not a star head screw.J

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Those are 12 point 1/4 inch heads capscrews. To remove you go to Sears or another tool seller and buy a 1/4 inch drive, 1/4 inch 12 point socket. Using a 1/4 inch extender bar, reach in and remove both bolts. It goes easier if you use a 3/8 driver and 3/8 to 1/4 adapter.

Rod caps are "cracked cap" type and must go back on the respective rods in the respective orientation. The rods are fully machined and hardened. Then the cap is broken off, leaving a rough break. Thus, you can not reverse the cap on the rod or switch caps to different rods.

When reassembling, you MUST use a torque wrench. First tighten the bolts hand tight and be certain the caps are located properly. There is a flat or two ground onto the outside of the rod and a sharp object must pass over the crack on this flat without skipping or catching. This ensures that the inside of the rod is smooth and the rollers will not bounce over a ridge created by an incorrectly aligned cap. Again, account for all 16 rollers.

When the cap is correctly aligned, tighten the capscrews to 190 INCH pounds.

Note the orientation of the rod. One side has a Vee and the other has a flat notch. One of them (I forget which now) goes UP un the cylinder. It is not critical, I have done it either way with good results, but the factory did it one way so there must be a reason.

royal-direct

Cadet

Thanks Frank for the info, I got the pistons out, and am planning to order replacement kit. My pistons are all stamped with 32...does this mean something?