----how do I replace the tilt/trim relays?

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

how do I 'replace the trim relays?"

My tilt/trim button in the throttle control stopped working, I think.
It was acting weird at beginning of season. Sometimes when engaged
nothing would happen. The the next time it work work-you could hear
it engaging and the engine would go up and down. Sometimes the button
would not disengage after I took my thumb off. Like it was stuck in up or
down. Now I get no response when pushing the tilt/trim button up or down.
This thumb button is in the throttle control on the captain's stand.

I suspect the 'trim relays' have failed. How do I replace these 'tilt/trim relays'? Thanks so much. You guys helped me replace the tilt/trim piston last year. The tilt/trim motor I replaced ~3yrs ago.

I appreciate your advice!

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: ----how do I replace the tilt/trim relays?

Nost relays are bolted inside the engine near the front. Simply unplug the relays from the bases and insert new ones. NOW: you can spend a lot of bucks on relays at the marina or you can spend less for relays at the electric supply store OR you can go to a junkyard and salvage a couple out of old autos. They are a standard 5 pole relay and the only difference between the outboard ones and others is the mounting ear on the relay itself. No harm will come from using relays without mounting ears and simply laying them in the lower cowl.

Some of the old autos have them mounted on the firewall and these will have steel mounting lugs that the relay slips onto.

So now you have the options--the choice is yours.

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks Frank!

...yep. As I suspected from previous suggestions. The green/blue wires touched
to the battery posts engaged the til/trim up and down.
Now I guess the issues either lies in the thumb button on the throttle or the relays
under the engine cover. I am thinking the issue is going to be in the thumb button
on the throttle control at the captain's stand. Is there a replacement part for
this or do I have to find a new throttle control?

Thanks!!
surfsalterpath

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well if you found where the relays are and have a multimeter or a test lamp you can test the relays and switch on the throttle. Im assuming you have the 2 wire system.If you using a multimeter first test the voltage on your battery so you have something to compare the voltage of the relays to when testing them if your using a test lamp Connect the test lamp lead to a engine ground. Look for the wires going from your pump motor into your engine cowl, these lead straight to your relays. Down relay is the Green wire the up relay is a [/COLOR] Blue wire hold the trim switch in the up position touch the blue wire on the up relay, if the test light doesnt light the up relay is bad or( multimeter if while testing the relay if your voltage on the multimeter drops to more then 1 below it your intial battery voltage reading) the relay is bad. ya follow? Ok now go to the other relay, while holding the trim switch down touch the green wire on the down relay If the test light doesnt light the down relay is bad. Also try to see if you have a circut breaker it would be inbetween the starter relay and the trim motor relays just trace the positve wire from the starter relay there would be a circut breaker then two wires off the output side of the circut breaker going to the relays. To test the trim switch (not sure how this would work on a control box with the trim switch in it so correct me if im wrong) you stay grounded to the engine and touch the center post on the trim switch, not 100% on the switch but the relay way is right. Ill check back tomorrow or tonight and let you know for sure on the trim switch. Good luck.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

there is a replacement part

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Thanks wavejumpinmaxum. Great advice.
I went in and unhooked the relays and then hooked them back.
Then the wires going to the relays have plugs so I unplugged and
cleaned the plug contacts. Viola! Lucky this time....it works.
But now I know what to look for and how the thumb switch is connected
to the relays under the cowl {i guess the cowl is the engine cover :) }
Normally things end up being a lot more complicated or need more repair
than this. I really appreciate your advice. If the tilt/trim thumb control needs
fixing sounds like that would be a tougher job?

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Well all the button is on the trigger is a 3 pol momentry on switch. You can replace it but finding one to fit back in the trigger would be difficult. My advice is if you do need to replace the switch go to radio shack. Most are pretty well stocked on switches and little electrical things. Go to the automotive fuse section or drawer, look for a momentry on switch im not sure im spelling but its the only one that begins with a M that its a spring loaded switch. ex: a switch you have to hold to get in the on position. one way is up one way is down,they sell "heavy duty ones" rated for 25/30 amps, they have 6 posts on the back but you only use 3 so its not required after that its as simple as looking at the wires on the back of your switch if you can see them, put middle wire back in middle top wire on top , bottom on bottom. find a spot to mount the switch. Thats pretty much it ina nutshell. Im sure someone has a more technical definiton for the momuentry?? switch spelling isnt my strong side.

surfsalterpath

Petty Officer 2nd Class

thanks again wav jumpnmaxim!
do you have a link where I can verify the correct relays?
and where I can purchase new relays for future reference?
good ideas about radio shack!

roscoe:

how do i find the replacement part?
is there a diagram for the tilt/trim relays?
a link to where I can obtain the part?
the relays(there are 2 relays-blue wire going to one relay and
the green wire going to another relay) attached to the engine
for the tilt/trim. They are attached w/ a bolt and a rubber bushing,
I guess to absorb the engine vibration.

1996 75hp force

Thanks!
surfsalterpath

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I know ebay has relays.Most marinas do ,With the correct mounting tab. But as FrankA mentioned before they can be pricey. Marinas prob over 20 dollars for it ebay is around 16? Depends on shipping. If you wanna save money do what he suggested and get any standard 5 pole relay. Heres a diagram of a system with the green and blue comming off the pump . the capital A-M are used as a refernence for testing different parts of the electircal system, one of those ignore them unless ya need it ideas.
A- starter solenoid input terminal
B- Input side of circut breaker
C- Output side of circut breaker
D- Input side of up relay
E- Input side of down relay
F- Ground / Output of up relay
G- Ground / Output of up relay
H- Ground / Output of down relay
I- Ground / Output of down relay
J- Output up relay to trim motor
K- Output down relay to trim motor
L-Wire to down side of trim switch
M- Wire to upside of trim switch

Attachments

• IMAG0043.jpg
    IMAG0043.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 18

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I get the relays at the marina about 20 min from my house. on ebay http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=po...rd+trim&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313 see theres all the power trim relays they sell. anyone with 5 clips will work.theyre all the same.they will all work equally or if you find a place that sells bosch ones bosch part# 0 332 204 150 thats what my local place stocks

WaveJumpingMaxum

Petty Officer 3rd Class

thanks!
I appreciate the assistance.
When I find a link to the part I will post for future reference.

this must be the relay part:
http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/merc/M-F660917.html

here is the diagram for the parts for the pump motor kit:
http://www.boats.net/parts/search/M...999)/ALL/PUMP-MOTOR KIT (FK654541)/parts.html

am I right?

thanks guys!

yeah you got everything youd need to order right there. i never ordered from i boats though good luck power trims nice no effort.

RRitt

Captain

Nost relays are bolted inside the engine near the front. Simply unplug the relays from the bases and insert new ones. NOW: you can spend a lot of bucks on relays at the marina or you can spend less for relays at the electric supply store OR you can go to a junkyard and salvage a couple out of old autos. They are a standard 5 pole relay and the only difference between the outboard ones and others is the mounting ear on the relay itself. No harm will come from using relays without mounting ears and simply laying them in the lower cowl.

Some of the old autos have them mounted on the firewall and these will have steel mounting lugs that the relay slips onto.

So now you have the options--the choice is yours.

If you hit wholesale electronics they are dirt cheap new. I buy a case of 100 evry month or so and the water proof kind cost me under $2 each. They are used extensively in 12V stereo and security. Check ebay, amazon, google, parts express.

iCam

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Probably to late, but I just purchased a relay from Autozone for $10. I have seen them cheaper, but not more convenient to get.
My motor was lifting but was not lowering. I found that the relay was bad by switching the 2 relays, and the problem reversed itself. So I knew it was a relay.