1998 40 hp Force outboard (Mercury) starting problems

Balford2

Cadet
Re: 1998 40 hp Force outboard (Mercury) starting problems

Sorry its taken a while i didnt have much time to look at it. but i feel studid now ha, i did leave a wire off of the solenoid when i installed it. However the motor will only trim down not but not up, when i try to trim up nothing happens not even the clicking noise. Does this mean one of the relays is bad?

ward107

Cadet

Balford2,

I have run into this problem before and I found that I had a bad relay. The relays are two black boxes that eventually lead to a green wire and a blue. You can switch the relays around to see if you get a reverse effect or trim up if it doesn't change anything than the relays are fine and you wont have to switch them back because they are the same. To make sure your weiring is good to the trim motor try switching the green and blue wires around and you should have the opposite effect pushing down will make your motor go up just make sure you put it back. Problems could be corrosion on your trim switch on the controls from water intrusion, pinched wire to the motor or a bad relay. I had a bad relay due to a bad switch on the control handle causing the relay to work even if the button wasn't pressed. I heard you can find a match to the relay at napa for a fraction of the cost, but the trim switch might be more difficult to find because they have stopped producing them. You can find an after market two way switch and wire it to your dash but check with your local mercury dealer or ebay for the switch that is in the handle. Let me know if you have any questions once you get to not knowing were to go from that point.

Balford2

Cadet

Thanks ward107 for the help. I switched the relays around and nothing changed (would only trim down and not up), and i switched the green and blue wires around and when i tried to trim down it went up and when i trimmed up nothing happened.

ward107

Cadet

Balford2

It seems like your trim switch on your controls is bad. See if you can find a replacement switch at the merc dealer or an after market you can wire from the blue and green wires. I have read a few people disassembling and cleaning the switch and a few put an in-dash switch. The switch has been discontinued but your local marina might have one laying around, that is how I got mine. Now this is similar but fits a newer gen control PN# 87-18286A43 is available but I am not sure full compatibility. You might be able to get a used set of controls on ebay also. Cost wise I would relocate the switch if no luck finding the replacement. Ebay has many mercury dash mount switch kits available.

Balford2

Cadet

I really appreciate the help, I am first going to try to disassemble where the switch is and take a look for loose wires to the switch and what not, and if no luck I will probably just purchase a switch to mount to the console. If I do this, do I just wire the new switch to the blue and green wire where it connects to run up to the existing switch? (hope that makes sense). Also, would a switch work if it just says a mercury tilt trim switch or do I need to get one that strictly says force?

ward107

Cadet

Most mercury or force dash switches have the right wire coloring you just need a hot supply and connect the blue and green wires any trim switch will work. I had a temporary switch hooked up on mine until I found the right part where i ran the wires out of the control box to a $4.00 switch i got at the local truck stop. I think the switch part number will work though the original part has been discontinued, if you do replace it take pictures as you go for proper wire placement. Many have replaced the switch and had issues of pinched wires.

Attachments

• IMG_0184[1].jpg
    IMG_0184[1].jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 2

bpz1210

Recruit

TwoFish. I read this thread and I have a 1996 force 90. My problem is past a new solenoid. I tried bridging the yellow/rd and + on the new solenoid but no luck. I can bridge the + and - to stater and the starter turns. On my igniton switch I get 12v to red at all times. 12v to red and purple when switch is at on. I get 12v to yellow/red (plus the other 2) when switch is at start. The solenoid is getting 12v at + and 12v on yellow/red in start position too. Both grounds are fine. There's no drop in voltage when the igniton switch is turned on. No sure what else to look at here?