What is the purpose of a Trim Tab?

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice
The trim Tab has always been broken on my force 40hp. Is it important to replace it. What is its purpose? Thanks Alot

robert graham

Admiral
Re: What is the purpose of a Trim Tab?

If you're referring to that small zinc fin that attaches to the bottom back of your cavitation plate, then it's purpose is to counter act the steering torque of your motor's propeller. Say if you're cruising down the river at full or 3/4 throttle and you take your hand off the steering wheel, then the boat may tend to pull to the right or left, but if you have your trim tab set correctly the boat would continue in a straight line. The zinc trim tabs don't cost much, maybe $15, so they're good to have.

jrtax

Seaman Apprentice

ok thanks for the info

geohei

Cadet

Hi, I just joined the forum. I have had several boats in the past but this one I have now has me puzzled. I thought if your boat pulls to the right you would adjust the steering tab to the left (opposite the pull). I have mine all the way to the left and it still pulls right unless I trim the motor way out (not cavitating but I bet it would just a little more out). When trimmed in (bow down) it pulls progressively harder to the right. When I had it set about hafway to the left it would get pretty neutral as I trimmed out and then start pulling left. Any thoughts? GK

TwoFish

Petty Officer 1st Class

You need to start a new thread as it gets confusing mixing answers.

Turning trailing edge of the trim left, turns the boat right.Trim.jpg