trolling plate for 50hp is this ok?

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer
unsure about mounting my new plate. is 12 inches behind the prop ok? want to get some feedback before i drill four more holes in the cavitation plate. does this look ok?
thanks
dino

P1030569.jpg

P1030570.jpg

P1030572.jpg

P1030571.jpg

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: trolling plate for 50hp is this ok?

Yes that looks ok.
That kind of reducer is for the serious fisherman.It's always in use.And always putting a strain on the lower.Theres not a lot of metal on a 50's cavitation plate.
Spend the $ and buy the releasable kind.That's just my opinion.I used to fish Saginaw Bay,Mi. and did a lot of trolling.I used a whole bunch of kinds and ended up with the releasable.J

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

or, the serious trotline crabber ;-)
I put the easy troller on my chrysler 140, its the releaseable type. Works great, I don't know what I'd do without it.

dkonrai

Senior Chief Petty Officer

ok, thanks for the advise. thought the idea was good, but now i understand the flexibility of having one that i can lift when needed.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I couldn't see the pictures the first time. Mine is actually even closer to the prop than that. Probably 6" away. It doesn't have those monster springs in the way though.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Do they really work like this? That looks like a lot of stress on your outboard plus if you can't move it, doesnt that kill performance? I love the idea of steering it with the boat's wheel though.

fishrdan

Admiral

I'm with Bman, it looks too far back. The prop can easily shoot water past the plate and reduce it's effectiveness. I have my Troll-a-Matic mounted almost even with the back end of the anti-cav plate, probably 6" back from the prop and it works well.

I'd remove the screw eyes from the mounting arms, slide the plate forward, bolt down the arms, then drill through the anti-cav plate to reattach the screw eyes. Though,,, I don't know if this is possible with the design of the arms. Is that plate supposed to be mounted to the bottom side of the anti-cav plate? Mine is mounted to the bottom of the anti-cav plate.

The plate I have is spring loaded like yours. I like it as I don't have to worry about raising the plate while powering up to planing speed. The locking plates can bend/break if you forget to raise them. The downside to a spring loaded plate:

1- Reverse steering is lessened, you get used to it
2- The spring loaded plate might not be as effective as a locking plate since the prop can push the plate up. Mine rides at an angle at idle speeds, but I have a 140HP I/O