Force outboard power trim and tilt

ATAPIA2002

Cadet
I have a 85 hp power trim and tilt motor that i just had fixed but now i do not know what kind of fluid it takes. Any help would be greatly appreciated.. Shuld i fill it with the motor down or up is there a way to bleed these? The manual says i should use motor oil but others say to use power trim and tilt oil.. Help please

couchise

Seaman
Re: Force outboard power trim and tilt

i used 10W40 and i have the same trim. depending on what type of trim it is some of them you have to use hydraulic oil. what is the serial number of the motor??????

RRitt

Captain

Thinner fluid reduces the risk of hydraulic pressure lock and thicker fluid reduces the risk of engine bounce. Pressure lock is a bigger problem in cold weather than hot and engine bounce is a bigger problem on 150HP than 85.

30w non detergent motor oil is the universal answer for Force. It shouldn't bounce on any size engine.

Hydraulic oil is better for the seals but may bounce. AW32 is hydraulic oil formulated to work as well in cold as hot weather. Tractor fluid is not as good in your tranny as ATF and not as good in your pumps as hydraulic oil. But it can do both good enough from a single reservoir.

do not use multi-weight oil. it has detergents. detergents will cut lifespan of your orings in half - or less.

on an 85hp? I would go with hydraulic oil.

ATAPIA2002

Cadet

So i fi had already added power trim and tilt oil to it how do i flush it out or ist ok to mix the remaining oil in the line with motor oil?

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

the guys at west marine told me to put in quicksilver power tilt and trim oil and thats what i did... And i just replaced the oring in my rams and the motor and valvebody from rritt and my system THANK God is working flawelessly ... Hope this isnt the wrong fluid in mine.. RRITT is this going to hurt anything

ATAPIA2002

Cadet

My f1st boat

i used the same oil but now i am unsure of it myself i cannot get the motor to stayup with the pistons or i dont know the correct procedure to starting up my hydraulic unit for the first time do i have to start with the motor up and no pressure in the hyd, unit or down?

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

the pump itself is self bleeding.. just fill the resevoir with the engine down until the fluid starts to come out.. Run the pump motor up and put more fluid in the motor run it down see if it takes anymore.., like i said its self bleeding put the plug in and just make a few cycles up and down till the motor operated smoothly up and down.. Ive had this powertrim tilt oil in my unit for a few weeks.. its been fine... if your motors not staying up after all the air is bleed out you probably have another problem with the system I replaced the motor and valvebody as an assembly and bought the seal rebuild kit for the rams and trim pump.. not hard to do feel free to pm me or email me for any advise if you have to get into the rebuild..

RRitt

Captain

the guys at west marine told me to put in quicksilver power tilt and trim oil and thats what i did... And i just replaced the oring in my rams and the motor and valvebody from rritt and my system THANK God is working flawelessly ... Hope this isnt the wrong fluid in mine.. RRITT is this going to hurt anything

It takes about 15 years for ATF to break down orings on a big engine.

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

wasnt red in color, it was like oil color slight gray

ATAPIA2002

Cadet

I put in the oil and got the motor to go up a little and it wont go anymore the motor keeps turning but the hydraulics wont push what other trick can i use to get it going or would i have to rebuild my cylinders i have already gotten a oring rebuildkit for it shall i use it or can it be something else?

RRitt

Captain

your symptoms sound like
1) valve body - if original fluid was tan and no water in oil
2) trim piston ring - if original fluid was red
3) tilt bypass valve - if there was water in oil

rebuilding the rams isn't a bad way to start if your boat is freshwater. It's quick and easy like doing a brake caliper and it eliminates #2 and #3 from the list of suspects. However, if you have a good manual it should describe how to test your hydraulics and determine exactly what is going on.

ATAPIA2002

Cadet

That is what i will do then.. This is also my first boat so i want to be able to do as much as i can myself thank u for al your advice, what tools do i need to redo the seals on the hydraulic system, hopefully this works thank u again

ATAPIA2002

Cadet

so i rebuilt the trim and tilt cylinders through a rebuild kit that i bought and still i have trouble getting the pisytons to go up i am starting to lean towards the valve body being bad but i also i have a small leak from the seat of the pump i need to replace the o-rings .. does anyone here know of wehere i can purchase a valve body rebuild kit for my trim? or do i have to buy a whole new unit? when i am filling the resertvoir does the motor need to manually be lifted up or should it be in the down positionto where the cylinders are not extended? what are teh proper procedures?

RRitt

Captain

and what year was that engine?

RRitt

Captain

on 1987 how and when you fill is not critical. You can fill at any position and even while lifting. The reservoir is generous in size so i prefer to fill with engine halfway up.

No kits on vavle body although some on this board have used briggs & stratton carb kits. The valve body can be a bit of Pandora's box. IMO, it's not user serviceable.

On an 85hp i would go with hydraulic oil all the way. Good old iso32. Just like the stuff they would put in a $10million factory robot.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

My manual says that filling should be in the down position.The reason being the resivoir is at its fullest.Too much oil and it will be pushed up into the electric motor.J