How much Skeg has to be left, to use a Skeg guard?

MaDWoLF

Cadet
How much left over skeg do you need to bolt on a skeg protector? There is only about an 1" - 1 1/2" left. The boat's original skeg, and one welded replacement had both been torn off on sandbars. Also, are there any brands that fit higher than others on the original skeg, I'm trying to get as close to the bullet as possible, to get the most of what remains.

john from md

Commander
Re: How much Skeg has to be left, to use a Skeg guard?

The skeg is there to protect the prop and gearbox. Since you routinely hit bars, I suggest you have something put back on or next you will damage your prop and gearbox.

John

MaDWoLF

Cadet

I found one brand that claims you only need about 2" of the skeg left to use it. It will be close, but I'm going to give it a shot. If I can't mount it with what I have left, then I will have to get a new skeg welded on, and then I'll have a nice new protector for it anyway.

Doernuth

Petty Officer 1st Class

The Skeggard uses two bolts at the top of the guard. It goes almost all the way up the skeg two inches left is plenty to attach it but it will not be as sturdy as if the original skeg was inside of it.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer

There is one in the Overton's catalog. It looks to be a slip on. It says nothing about mounting, but I did not notice any brackets or bolt holes. I had a chunk out of the lead edge of mine & was going to buy that one & maybe glue it on, or whatever. Funny though, I ended up using Billy Mays "Mighty Putty" to form the missing chunk. When it hardened it was like steel. I sanded it down to match the rest of the skeg & sprayed it with white spray paint. Looks brand new, not sure how well it would take a hit, I'm sure it would snap right off but you never know. It is "Mighty Putty"!