12 volt fuel pump for my 1989.125 Force outboard

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 12 volt fuel pump for my 1989.125 Force outboard

Back in 1990 a guy in my shop put an EFP in a boat.
It worked fine for about an hour.
Then he started smelling gas,he thought it was residual from the install.
Then it got worse.
The 12# pump pressured past the hose clamps and started pumping gas into the bildge.
It didn't blow up but he pumped 20gal into the bildge.
He was very lucky it didn't explode when the bildge pump cycled and started punping the gas overboard.

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

A lot of things to incorporate for no real gain, also if your battery goes and you have by-passed the original fuel pump system, how can you pull start it successfully or would it rely on the voltage developed by the flywheel? This sounds to me like a good back up system if you incorporate all the safety designs needed, Jiggz mentions fuel leaks which would be a concern and is with a normal set-up as well if it is after the pump inside the motor, so I would have it mounted inside the motor cowl the same as the original, reducing the amount of fuel line needed compared to mounting it somewhere else, also the pressure from the pump would need to be reduced as mentioned previous, to less than 10psi and I am thinking out loud here but could you use some sort of fuel flow/pressure cut off, in case there was a leak.
As Jiggz said, it can be done and could probably be a good system, if all is taken into account safety wise. Personally it sounds like a good back up and you could probably parallel it to your existing system with some sort of change over or Y valve. With good maintenance practices though you shouldn't need a back up except your battery :D

MickLovin

Master Chief Petty Officer

LOL did even realise, I am showing my age :p

todd.bellamy

Cadet

I'm about to do the same to my outboard, its a 120hp Force 1996. The new 10 micron filter that i just added to the boat is just a bit to much for the mechanical fuel filter + 4 feet of fuel line to the onboard tank to handle.

The idea is to run a wire up to the switch panel so I can turn the sucker on and off at will. This will mean i've got 2 fuel fuel pumps, but I will need the mechanical just in case a switch to my deck top emergency tank.

I'm mounting the fuel pump about 1.5 feet before the fuel/water separator.

Any thoughts?
Should i just try to put another small inline fuel filter in and forget the 10 micron filter?

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

Electric pump for an outboard is not advisable for safety reasons. It shouldn't be necessary. A small inline filter between the fuel pump and carburetors is sufficient.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

My motor pulls through over 15ft of hose and goes through a water sep filter and a fine particle filter.
Maybe the 10 is too small.
I use a filter from wally world.
It's a g-2 or g-12 Fram