1974 Chrysler 35HP Water Pump Question

Joer38

Cadet
Should I be able to see water coming out of the center rear leg exhaust port exhaust while the engine is running? It seems to me that the exhaust comes out there and at the bottom above the propeller. I haven't seen anything coming out while running in a barrel. I am a newbie boater, so I appreciate your patience with this question.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: 1974 Chrysler 35HP Water Pump Question

I just fired up my '70 55hp and it bubbled like crazy by the prop.

Took a couple of good revs to get the water to start spitting out the exhaust pipe. I've been told that's just because it's in a barrel or garbage can.
I kinda got the worried feeling too..

But it could be that your impeller is shot.
At least those aren't expensive.

Joer38

Cadet

Thanks Buzz. This boat has been sitting for twelve years before I bought it (indoors at least!) so I am a bit nervous about the whole deal considering lack of marine experience. It is on a '61 Elgin boat, appearance wise the motor looks great, like new, the boat looks pretty good too.

Maybe I need to get it running on the water, I hope. More questions to come I am sure. Thanks again.

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Before we damage the lower unit.

If you look at the bottom of the lower unit.

You should see a large screw, Should have "drain" stamped by it.
Unscrew it and let a little but of oil come out. Let see what it looks like.

If water pours out, then you have a bad seal. If the oil is cream color, then you have a bad seal. Here's where we would need to remove the lower unit and replace the seals. It's not hard, and the seal kit is only 19 bucks. Impeller is about 30.

but bringin back a '61... In the same lake as I am.. '62 glastron for me.
If you need a service manual for your outboard shoot me a PM and I'll get you one.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Attached is a Pic of my 1970, 35 HP Chrysler (with a 55 HP cover) spitting with an impeller checked last when I purchased the boat in 1985.

2. Attached is a Pic of my 1970, 35 HP Chrysler spitting with a new impeller this with a slight improvement. The old impeller was in good shape but peace of mind is better.

3. My leg has to be fairly deep in the barrel for it to spit vs solid that I thought the new impeller would help. Not much difference and it has not overheated.

4. Attached are pics of my L/U 2 seals replaced. I have posted other pics that a search on wickware should lead you to or ask about specific pics.

Good Luck,
JOW

Attachments

• Boat's Lower Unit old Seal's  8 hrs Leak test.JPG
    Boat's Lower Unit old Seal's 8 hrs Leak test.JPG
    54.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat's Lower Unit's Prop Shaft Seal & Cage O-Ring Replaced.JPG
    Boat's Lower Unit's Prop Shaft Seal & Cage O-Ring Replaced.JPG
    70.2 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat's Lower Unit new Seal's after  24hrs Leak test.JPG
    Boat's Lower Unit new Seal's after 24hrs Leak test.JPG
    87.1 KB · Views: 1
  • Boat's Motor above Idling 9-25-08 with Cooling Water R.jpg
    Boat's Motor above Idling 9-25-08 with Cooling Water R.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 1970 Chrysler 35HP 2010 Check-up (4).JPG
    1970 Chrysler 35HP 2010 Check-up (4).JPG
    67.4 KB · Views: 1

Joer38

Cadet

Great pics, thanks for the time and effort. Is it spitting the water at idle or something above idle? Mine is bone dry at idle, haven't gone past there yet, not that is running all that well yet. I did replace the fuel lines, cleaned and built the carb, put new plugs in.

The picture really defines what I should be looking for. Thanks.

wickware

Lieutenant

1. Remember not to run it too long w/o cooling water flowing. If mine is not coming out instantly, I?m feeling close to the head with my bare hand. I?m trying to monitor the heat, to keep it from getting too hot (to keep my hand on the motor comfortably).

2. Is your overheat sensor working? It?s on the bottom back left side of the head with a single orange wire is connected. It works as a ground to sound the horn, buzzer or etc as a warning when over heating. My horn sounds and works as a horn. With the key on and I ground the wire at the sensor, the horn sounds to let me know the sensor ??should be working??.

3. Protect Your Motor! Plus, I have learned through Frank that there are different versions of 35 HP Chrysler motors. Mine is titled as1971 35 HP Outboard Chrysler Engines Mod. = 3555, Ser. =2365. One parts house said it had to be a 72-73 but the parts matched. .

JOW

Attachments

• 1970 Chrysler 35HP 2010 Check-up (7).JPG
    1970 Chrysler 35HP 2010 Check-up (7).JPG
    88.5 KB · Views: 1

Joer38

Cadet

Here are some pictures. The model # is 354HF, serial is 4087.

ICryslr 01.jpg

boat 003.jpg

boat 002.jpg
I appreciate everyone's input!
I will ground out the high temp sensor, can't get to it tonight though. At this point, it is a struggle for it to idle for more than 15 seconds, cleaned the carb are adj the float, simple carb. I guess I should see water flowing through the clear hose? Steep learning curve here. I will also ck for water contamination in the lower box. I am walking on egg shells with this one, I don't want to damage it either. Thanks, Joe

wickware

Lieutenant

Your Motor Looks New!

1. Have you checked the diaphragm in the fuel pump? It could easily be cracked or hard at this age. My stretched diaphragm (that I h/n changed) works good at this point w/o cracks or hard. If fuel was left in the carb, I?m sure you completely disassembled it and soaked it in B-12 or a carb cleaner over-night or for hours?

2. You should see water flowing through the tube. BUT! The pump might not get primed with short idle.

3. Checking/changing the impeller is too easy and inexpensive compared to overheating the motor.

4. Take your time vs blowing the nice looking engine. It?s Day & Night Looking Compared To My Jewel.

JOW

Attachments

• 70 Chrysler 35 HP fuel Pump Checked Last In 1985.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP fuel Pump Checked Last In 1985.JPG
    73 KB · Views: 1
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Fuel Pump's Diaphragm   Checked Last In 1985.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Fuel Pump's Diaphragm Checked Last In 1985.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 70 Chrysler 35 HP Fuel Pump's Diaphragm   Checked Last In 1985 2.JPG
    70 Chrysler 35 HP Fuel Pump's Diaphragm Checked Last In 1985 2.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 1

Joer38

Cadet

Thanks again Jow. Is it possible the water pump is not priming because it hasn't revved above idle?

The previous owner, the one who went to Sears in 1961 and bought this boat, took exceptional care of this boat. He bought the motor new in 1974 as well and kept it inside. He passed away in 2000 or so and didn't use the boat for a couple of years prior because his friend bought a bass boat.
I got the boat last week, it appears he drained the fuel prior to storage, the tank was dry and clean. The carb, initially the float stuck causing fuel to flow out the vent. I did disassemble and cleaned a very clean carb with carb cleaner but didn't soak it. I blew out all passages as well before reassembling with new seat and bowl gasket etc, not much in the kit. Put a new spring on the idle mixture screw. It has an .090 jet in it.

I will check to fuel pump as well this weekend. I did replace the fuel lines and primer pump as well. Believe me, I don't want to damage this engine. It does look new.

One more question: where do you get parts for this engine? I found the carb kit at napa, but where would I get the impeller, diaphram, etc. ? Do you have a source for older obsolete boat parts?

I really appreciate your help and advice, thank you again. - Joe

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

E-basic power has a lot of Chrysler parts.J

wickware

Lieutenant

I used a local marina (that closed) for the few parts I needed. iboat was my next option for my Sierra impeller (as in the pump) and they beat or matched the locals and net prices. With the low US Postal mode of shipping, it was a great deal. So far I have found the minor parts w/o a problem and I always try to compare 2-3 prices. Cheap Me!

Attachments will show some procedures I like or find easier but some might not work for you. OR! You might like to ?Skin The Cat? other ways.

1. The impeller I replaced.

2. Disconnecting shift rod at cotter pin vs readjusting/locating gears,a longer bolt will about a 1? window.

3. I use a hand impact if needed or for a better grip (mainly disassembluing).

4. Notice the rotation of the impeller. I w/n lift L/U by the drive-shaft unless you know it?s safe w/gears.

5. I was able to verify my water tube was in place through the window and looking up the leg.

JOW

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Sierra part numbers

• 18-3084 Impeller
  • 18-3556 Thermostat
  • 18-2636 Lower unit seal kit
  • 18-7037 Carb kit (WB model carb)
  • 18-7005 Carb kit (OM model carb)
  • 18-7806 Fuel Pump kit ((6 bolt hole kit) Wickware has a 6 hole))
  • 18-7805 Fuel pump kit (3 bolt hole kit)

All these can be ordered by Napa. My local Napa doesn't stock them.
But you can get them all here at Iboats. IF you want to shop around just search those part numbers. They are all Sierra Part numbers

Edit:
If you have to replace the impeller. Here's a small little tip when you unscrew the shift rod. You'll see a long nut and a short. Count the threads to each nut, then write it down on each shift rod. Saves a lot of time when reassembling.

wickware

Lieutenant

Oops! I missed your question.

?Is it possible the water pump is not priming because it hasn't revved above idle??

1. My 35 HP Chrysler will spit at idle vs having to rev.

2. I have read of individuals forcing a prime or trying to with muffs.

3. It would be good to check your thermostat. I feel I read a bypass lets it spit water if it?s open or closed. I feel that's true since mine spits before worming-up (probably for lubricating).

4. I have a question. Will pulling the clear hose and forcing water in both dir. reveal possible restrictions?

JOW

Joer38

Cadet

I am getting the hint that I should just go ahead and address all the minor things before they become major issues! Considering the cost, I will go along with that.

I can't thank each of you enough for sharing your knowledge and experience with me. I really appreciate your advice. Each of you.

I am looking forward to tinkering and or tampering with thing this weekend. I hope to make some progress. I did check the part numbers and they are available at through NAPA, thanks for the guidence there.

I may try to see if I can find a restriction using the ports at the clear hose. More to follow later.

-Joe

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

If you end up replacing the impeller and lower end seals.
When you have the lower unit off the motor, without any oil in it. Plug the drain plug and apply about 10 PSI to the lower unit. if you don't see any bubbles, then you're good to go. If you see bubbles, then you know which seal is bad.

Joer38

Cadet

It works! I raised the water level and it immediatly started to shoot out water. Rookie mistake on my part, I think the water was too low, below impeller.

Opened the vent and the engine would idle too! Great day today, looking forward to the lake soon. I do have a misfire at times, like a shorted plug wire and a poorly timed spark, seems to clear up at higher rpm.

Hope to test at lake this week. Thank you all again!

Attachments

• boats.jpg
    boats.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 1

BuzzStPoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Glad to hear it..

Could be out of time, but I would 1st start checking all the wires for a crack in the ignition. If you haven't changed the spark plugs. you may want to do that.

wickware

Lieutenant

Good Spit!!

1. I would think a good long hard run with a stabilizer/de-carb would help the system after sitting so long.

2. I helped on a motor recently with no fire that h/n been fired since 1990, cleaning the points w/o any adjustments was all it needed (you could see a residue present).

3. I have never adjusted my timing and only adjusted new points vs cleaning/dressing dirty points.

4. I had my experiences with Tecumseh small engines, some adjustments are unnecessary cans of worms.

Good Luck On The Water!
JOW

Joer38

Cadet

The boat runs well! Thanks to all of you for your input and encouragement. I took the boat out three times this week. Today was the first day I had pictures though, took my wife and daughter our for an early ride. The boat runs very well, especially at the higher end. Touch the key and it starts cold without the choke, warm it doesn't start as easy but it does start. I still need to a little tweaking on the carb, needs a little help with the idle too.

It hits just under 30mph (speedo) with me, and about 27 with guests. A cool little boat!

I totally appreciate everybodys input, from suggestions to part number to service manuals. You guys are awesome!

-Joe

Attachments

• ElginChrysler rid.jpg
    ElginChrysler rid.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 0