85 HP Force Impeller Housing

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice
Got the gearcase pulled off this afternoon to check the impeller. To my disgust, the impeller housing is cracked. The impeller is also in BAD shape.

Larson 1550 Shark, US Marine 85HP Force

I just bought this boat last week and am in the process of rewiring and checking everything to get it ready for the water, thus pulling the gearcase to check the impeller.

The problem I have is that I have NO IDEA what year or model this motor is. All I know is that it is a US Marine 85HP Force 2-Stroke Outboard. The data tag is totally illegible. I called the guy that I bought the boat from and he doesn't know either. Said that he bought the motor from someone else and that he thinks it is a "Late 80's model". I'm assuming he bought the controls from the same person, due to the fact that it is a US Marine control.

Is there any way that I can find out for sure what year/model this motor is?

In the meantime, are the impellers/housings the same for a stretch of year models that cover the 85 HP?

Thanks in advance for any help!

pnwboat

Rear Admiral
Re: 85 HP Force Impeller Housing

Take a look at part numbers 3218 and 2011 water pump repair kits on this page. Compare the base plate on your unit with either of the two kits to see which one matches yours.

http://www.outboardparts.com/chrysler/mall/forceimpellers.htm

As far as determining the year, if you could post a picture of the motor with the cover off. Detailed pictures of the ignition system is helpful.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

If it's white it's in the 80's.The pump housings are all the same.If you can't find it here. I-boats sells it.Part# FK1069 About $60 .That's for the kit.J

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

Take a look at part numbers 3218 and 2011 water pump repair kits on this page. Compare the base plate on your unit with either of the two kits to see which one matches yours.

http://www.outboardparts.com/chrysler/mall/forceimpellers.htm

As far as determining the year, if you could post a picture of the motor with the cover off. Detailed pictures of the ignition system is helpful.

Thanks, pnwboat. Unfortunately, I am at work right now. I will take pictures and post as soon as I get home. I took a look at the link you provided. What is the base plate that you mentioned? I will take a hard look at everything when I get home.

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

If it's white it's in the 80's.The pump housings are all the same.If you can't find it here. I-boats sells it.Part# FK1069 About $60 .That's for the kit.J

Jerry,

The whole unit is a dark blue color, with "Force 85" on the cover. It is written in a Light Blue with Pink accents. Don't know if that helps any or not. I will take pics and post tonight when I get home from work.

Also, it says "Crossfire Fuel Induction" or something like that on the outside of the motor. I'm strictly going by memory here, so I will post more when I get home.

Thanks for the help!

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

Also, one more quick question.....when I pulled the gearcase, there was no gasket between the gearcase and the upper part. Does this need to be sealed with a gasket or silicone?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

Your motor is likely an 88 or 89.

No, there is no seal between the midsection and the lower unit.
The gearcase is a sealed unit.

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

Ok guys, here's the pics:
Top Cover.jpg

Side of motor.jpg

Starboard side engine.jpg

Port side engine.jpg

Foot.jpg

Hope this helps to identify this motor, I have been having a HECK of a time on the phone and internet today trying to find a water pump kit w/housing that fits. *ALSO, if it helps, it is a two-piece drive shaft*

The two part numbers that I have come up with for the kit are a FK1202 and a FK1204 and they look SO similar that I don't know which one that I need. The number that is on the side of the old impeller is 3017. The housing has NO numbers on it, but it is cracked so I need to replace it also.

I am about at the end of my rope for today, so any help you guys can send my way will be GREATLY appreciated!

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks Jerry....I will start looking for the housing now. :D

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

They didn't make an 85 hp in 1990, it looks like a 1989 to me.

FK1204-1 should be the correct Mercury part number, but I'm not sure if they are selling it as a kit any longer, due to limited parts availability.

Contact your local Mercury dealer or go to http://www.dougrussell.com/partscat...,2,1,3,16,15,8,14,13,10,19,21,18,20,17,6,4,12

AND ORDER THE INDIVIDUAL PUMP PARTS YOU NEED.

They are on ebay, and at shipstore.

Before you order one, make sure they have them in stock.

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

Thanks, roscoe! That's exactly the breakdown that I've been looking for. What engine year/model did you use to get that breakdown?

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

That's why I came back to this site. Everyone willing to lend a hand when it looks like no light at the end of the tunnel. Hopefully, someday I will be able to return the favor. It may take years, but I will not forget. THANKS to all!

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

Ordered complete water pump kit FK1204-1. Received it today. I am at work right now, so won't get to install it until this evening.

I've done a search and read about installing the impeller/housing, but am still looking for confirmation on the procedure.

I'm assuming that I need to install the impeller on the driveshaft, making sure the key is in place. After that, lower the housing down the driveshaft and over the studs that hold the cover in place, while turning the driveshaft in a clockwise direction to let the impeller seat in the housing.

Is this correct?

Also, the housing has a metal sleeve inside of it that has an alignment tab to mate with the housing. Would it hurt to put a little grease or something on the outside of the sleeve to help hold it inside the housing while being lowered over the impeller?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

correct, sure, add a dab of grease.

It also helps to put a little soap on the impeller if you are having trouble fitting the cover onto it.

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

One more question......there is a rubber o-ring/seal included in this kit. I'm assuming its some sort of driveshaft seal or something. Where does it go? I don't remember there being one on the unit that I pulled off, but that's not to say it isn't there. :confused:

*there's no obvious place as to where it fits on the housing by looking at it*

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

:D Got the water pump kit put back on the foot today. Waiting for help tomorrow to put it back on the motor leg and test it. (I had help pulling it off, well I guess you could say I handed the tools). Working on putting a tell-tale on it in the meantime.

Thanks for everyone's help!

jjay74

Seaman Apprentice

Update...Got the foot back on this afternoon. Boy, that's a job that I don't want to have to do very often! Anyway, got the motor cranked and water is coming out of the telltale add-on and the two exhaust holes in the back of the leg. :D It feels real good to work on something myself and it actually end up right in the end. Of course, with help from all of you. Thanks!

Sidenote....wouldn't pump water using the muffs. Took the muffs off, dunked the foot in a bucket of water, and then it started pumping water like crazy.:confused: