85 hp top speed

Pan84

Seaman
Hello every one
I was on the water today, and maximum boat speed 35 mph (1986 18 feet bayliner capri and 1987 merc force 85 hp outboard motor) . It is ok? tachometer show 2500 rpm, I thinks is wrong, because rpm going up, but tachometer still show my 2500 rpm. On the back side of the tachometer small switch with digits, what is it? Before was force 125 hp engine, I change motor, but nothing did with the tachometer. On what digit switch should by?
Other question
I hit the ground 2 times and broke propeller. Now I need new propeller but I do not understand how read propeller size, somebody could explain? for example propeller size is 13-1/2"- 17"- 15 what is it?
After that (hit the ground) the engine began to overheat, i have telltale, watter goes through, what could be wrong? If i had sand in the cylinder head water do not go out from telltale? I have steam all time from 2 holes, but overheat sensor ringing only today, one time. (maybe it is smoke i dont know)
If I remove telltale, motor will be colder? Can I run the engine without thermostat?
Thanks for answers

RRitt

Captain
Re: 85 hp top speed

Around here they say we have two types of boat owners. Those who run aground and those who never leave their docks. When you run aground here it sucks a bunch of sand into engine and ruins the water pump. The engines won't cool properly until you put in a new water pump. Maybe you had same thing happen to you?

catfish hunter

Seaman Apprentice

Ya thats about the normal speed for that motor. That tach on the other hand needs to be replaced from what it sounds like. Should be reading twice that at wot! As for the prop the 13 1/4 is the diameter and the 15 is the pitch.

Pan84

Seaman

When I put the boat on the water, I forgot to remove water hose:), is why motor overheat? I use boat in salt water. It is was my 3 rd time on the water

RRitt

Captain

When I put the boat on the water, I forgot to remove water hose:), is why motor overheat? I use boat in salt water. It is was my 3 rd time on the water

I was trying to say above that when you hit ground in the ocean it is often a sandy bottom. If you hit sandy bottom then you need to replace your water pump impeller.