winterizing 85 hp force

kthkollar

Seaman Apprentice
I was what steps were required to winterize my 85 hp force I just picked up this rear. It runs well and I want to keep it that way. Thank you.

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: winterizing 85 hp force

This is what I do:

1) run stabile thru at least 1 tank. I run thru both.
2) spray fogging oil into each carb until engine quits (at dock of course)
3) remove plugs 1 at a time & spray fogging oil in each cylinder & turn flywheel by hand for each cylinder as well.
4) either clean w/ scotchbrite or replace w/ new. I usually put new ones in (NGK 18V) i think?
5) disconnect & empty tanks or tank.
6) remove battery. i use a trickle charge for he winter.
7) you can drain gear oil & refill w/ new either now or early spring. i usually wait for early spring.
8) replace impeller every 2 - 3 years.

john from md

Commander
Re: winterizing 85 hp force

If you leave it outside in a freezing environment, do the above plus the following.

Blow low pressure air through the plug on top of the thermostat to get as much water as you can out. I rotate the prop as I am doing this to get anywater out of the pump area. Next, take a ketchup bottle like the type you take to picnics and fill it with anti freeze. Pour it in through the plug hole in the thermostat housing while you are turning the prop. Have a catch pan under the engine when you do this. I also squirt some in through the intake slots on the side of the lower. I do this two or three times and have not had any ice damage in my engine.

Forgot to say, I change my lower oil before the winter comes to get any condensation out of the lower.

I also keep a running log on my engines as well as my other vehicles so that I know what I have done to them and when. It is a hold over from my flying days.

John

Last edited: