Can the plug wires be replaced on a Force 125?

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I can't seem to find a definative answer whether the plug wires can be replaced on a force 125 prestolite ignition system.

if they can, what parts do i need and how do you do it?

Or, is there something else that is MORE likely causing weak spark.

Thanks

M

Dave K.

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can the plug wires be replaced on a Force 125?

i changed the tips on my '84, 85hp. on mine, the plug wires go directly into the packs.

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you are referring to an all OEM Prestolite ignition then the answer is you cannot replace the plug wires that come with the OEM blue coils. However, there are aftermarket coils, and some later year model coils that are compatible with the Prestolite ignition systems that have a plug wire that can be removed and replaced. My 88' 85 hp motor uses the Prestolite ignition and I am currently using two OEM type coils with the fixed, non-removable plug wires and one aftermarket coil utilizing a removable\replacable plug wire.

pnwboat

Rear Admiral

If it's the blue prestolite coils, no the wires are not replaceable. Only thing that you can replace are the spark plug boots. Weak spark can be caused by a variety of things. Could be coils, CD packs, poor electrical connections/grounds. Best thing to do is to get a manual.

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The coils are black, that means they are the original parts, is that right?

so if they are black can the wires be replaced? Or should I just replace the whole coil?

I guess I'm getting a little ahead of myself....

I have the service manual, the clymer and the seloc. So we're gonna run through the proceedures to check ignition system. I just want to make sure I know what I am up against and what I need to focus on.

Thanks

M

Matthew A.

Petty Officer 1st Class

As far as I am aware, coils with a removable plug wire will have a boot similar to the boot that slips over the spark plug where the plug wire is inserted into the coil used to insulate and hold the plug wire into the coil. The OEM coils Force used for the Prestolite ignitions use a plug wire with a conductor of multistrand stainless steel for the core. Whereas most replaceable type plug wires normally tend to be a carbon core conductor. I am also fairly certain that the different core types are not inner-changable due to having different resistance values other then what the coil was designed to work with. At least with the coils using a stainless steel conductor in the core of the plug wire. Which is possibly why these types of coils have non-replacable plug wires.

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Now i get it.

So to summarize, unless it's a replacement part that allows for replacement, the answer is NO they aren't replaceable.

and if you Gerry-Rig something you are asking for trouble.

So, why do they sell those wire replacement kits!!??

I guess that's a dumb que$tion!

Thanks for the clarification everyone

M

MikDee

Banned

Yes the original plug wires are a stranded metallic core, they have to be to work propperly with the CD ignition, they might be stainless, I don't know? but either way, they usually don't wear out, and don't need to be changed.