You can laugh - but HELP!

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I am working on honing a cylinder and I wanted to be proactive. So i plugged the exhaust and intake ports with pieces of rag. Well in the process of cleaning with air, 2 of the rag pieces went inside the exhaust chamber.

:eek:

1 - think they will blow out safely?

2 - any ideas how to get them out?

I've been looking in the ports with a dental mirror and I can't see them anywhere.

From what I can tell from the books and pictures i've found it's just an open shared chamber? if that's the case the pieces shouldbe laying at the bottom?

I really don't wan't to take off the exhaust cover, but if that is the only choice... so be it.

[insert uncontrolable laughter here]

:rolleyes:

redfury

Commander
Re: You can laugh - but HELP!

Yup, they are most likely laying on the bottom, or hooked on a rod bolt. As far as getting them out, you could try the old coat hanger trick ( twist the end into a hook and then try to snag the piece of rag...sometimes twisting the coat hanger will "wrap" the rag onto it making it easier to snag ).

redfury

Commander

Oh yeah...

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! :D

Meh, it happens to the best of us. It's only laughable if you can recover from it without incurring expense or damage. ;)

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Thanks Red

ever notice how laughing and crying are hauntingly similar? ;)

I'll keep fishing at it

M

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

Hahahahahaaaaa. I'm going to pee myself. Don't worry Matt--they will either blow out the exhaust snout the first time you start the engine or will hang up inside the lower unit where they will do no harm until you decide to drop it to change a water pump impeller or fish them out. Can't help it---Hahahahahaaaaaa!

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I'll laugh along with you once it's running again :) (actually i'm laughing now)

in the meantime, on the bright side, the honing went well

M

Reboot11133

Seaman

I can relate! The same thing happened when I did it. Don't attempt to remove the exhaust cover, it is not necessary and you will likely snap a few bolts. If you really want to get them out drop the lower unit and they will likely be laying there.
It seemed like a good idea at the time...:)

LoweRider

Seaman Apprentice

Im not sure how deep you have to go , but , if you go to your local auto parts store you can buy a tool made for getting bolts and wrenches dropped while working on an engine. It is about 2 feet long looks like a cable with a plunger at one end. When you squeeze the plunger four wire hooks come out of the bottom of the cable , when you release the plunger, the hooks retract. (It looks like the "teeth" in a blood worm) They are very inexpensive, under $5. Hope this helps you out. :D

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Reboot - "it seemed like a good idea at the time" I think I will have that put that on my headstone :D Makes me feel better too that I'm not the only one who likes to be... uh.... proactive... yeah! (that's my story and I'm sticking to it :rolleyes: )

I REALLY didn't want to take the exhaust cover off for that exact reason, so thanks a million for the advice. I think we will drop the lower unit just for peace of mind.

LoweRider - the gripper rocks, i think that was the 2nd tool in toolbox! not to mention the magnetic grabber. I love those things, saved my sanity many times. :) Thanks for the advice

M

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class

well here you go, the offending rags:

boating_20080826_0002_tn.jpg

you can see the other photos @ http://reinsmith.net/content/boating/boating.aspx

Thanks again for everyone's help

M

LoweRider

Seaman Apprentice

I'd be lost without mine, happy to see you got those rags outta there! Couldn't have been a fun job, but way better than getting stuck out on the water!

Last edited: