troubleshoot trim switch

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
1987 Force 125

The trim switch seems to have died, it doesn't work in either direction. I checked the breaker, flipped the relays and still nothing.

Even weirder is on several occasions while I was checking wires under the dash and I tested the switch it worked. So I thought, OK that's the one. (in one case I was checking the main ground and power terminals off of the fuse block) So it checked them, tightened them, and checked the switch again. Of course, it didn't work again.

The wiring diagrams I have are contradictory. But after some tracing it seems that the POWER for the switch comes off the fuse block. The blue and green wires sending power to the relays seem to go directly from the switch to the engine compartment.

If I check the voltage off the red wire on the switch I am getting power.

It was late and dark outside and my eyesight might now be what it used to be.

I need to know if I am tracing/trobulshooting this correctly so I can isolate the problem.

Also, is there a way I can trigger the relays from the engine compartment to try to isolate where the problem is?

any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks

seagull369

Seaman Apprentice
Re: troubleshoot trim switch

mreinsmith, the power (+12vDC) for the tilt switch comes from the ignition key when in the on position (I know cuz I just wired 'em up today!). Run a wire from that terminal on the key to the middle terminal on the tilt switch. If you want to raise/ lower without having to key on, just run (a fused) always hot wire to the middle terminal there instead. The wires on the 2 other terminals of the tilt switch (up/ down) run all the way back to the relays mounted in your motor.

Yea, you can tilt it up and down from back there, but youll need to apply +12V to 2 wires (not at the same time, tho). On my '86 125hp it's the brown with white stripes and green with white stripes wires that get the juice. Again do one or the other, otherwise theyll start sparking on ya.

If you dont have any luck there, pull the plugs off the relays, and wire the blue and green wires directly to a battery. Reverse the leads to make the motor turn the other way. The motor has an internal temp switch inside it, so you know. If it gets too hot it'll shut itself down for a bit.

If you need to see the clymer's diagrams on the schematic, limmie know.

mreinsmith

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: troubleshoot trim switch

thanks seagull369

We took it step by step and segment by segment.

Finally narrowed it down to that very same ignition wire. It was only carrying 7.5 volts, just not enough to trigger the relays.

We replaced it and it works great!

Thanks Again