1998 Force 120 Tach wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

cfstar_18

Recruit
Hi All,

I have been frustrated with tracing the Tach wiring on my outboard. Does anyone have a diagram from the motor? My tach goes to 0 when the ingnition is on, but I see no AC voltage on the SEND of the Tach. There is a grey wiring coming out of the Voltage regulator and it goes into a potted housing on the back of the motor and on the bottom there are a few wires comming out. One is tan and not connected to anything. The others are for the trim. Is this tan wire the one that is supposed to run back to my trim gage? It has a crimp on it, but just hangs in space. There does not appear to be a wire to connect it to. Is the grey wire on the regulator the one for the tach or is it the yellows? Why are does the main wiring harness coming from the controls run into this potted housing and what are the color codes? any help is appreciated. Thanks

ps my battery voltage goes to 14 when the motor is running so it is charging

Kenso

Recruit
Re: 1998 Force 120 Tach wiring

The grey wire is the tach signal wire on my '96 Force 75. Hope this helps.

On a side note, I was able to use a teleflex tach wiring harness for a Mercury, plugged right into an unused connector on my factory harness at the helm.

mayron

Recruit
I installed a tachometer on my boat and I don't know where is the sender cable , I have a 1996 mercury force 75 please help

Jiggz

Captain
There are only two wire colors used for the tach input for Force motors, i.e. gray or purple.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The grey lead is the tach lead.
The purple is the power to the tach.
If your installing a new tach, look in the wiring harness from the motor.
They usually tape the extra leads back.
The tan could be an extra lead in the harness for an alarm sender from an oil system the Forces don't have.

Status
Not open for further replies.