85 hp force tilt/trim

Dublindog

Cadet
Hi, new here and new to boating. I have a lot of questions but let's start with Tilt/Trim. I recently purchased an 87 Bayliner Capri with 85 HP Force 856X7A, runs nicely but has 2 problems. The Tilt/Trim seems to be missing parts, the pump has only 2 lines (going to the bottom and top of the nearest "ram or shock ?"). There doesn't seem to be any shaft or pins to connect the lower end of the "rams" to the " housing ?". Also it seems that something is missing to actually lift the motor. I'm pretty sure there needs to be a third line for this as well. I'm also thinking the pump needs to be filled with what looks like ATF. Parts for this Force seem to be almost non-existent. I've ordered a manual for this boat and sure I can handle this but, I need to know what parts to order and what other Force outboards are compatible. Sorry for the long first post and guess work on the component names but it's a new world for me.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Re: 85 hp force tilt/trim

Can you take a pic and post it.If so I will tell you what you need.The parts can be found on E-bay from time to time.Jerry

Dublindog

Cadet

Thanks for the reply Jerryjerry05, here's what I've got now. It sure doesn't look right.
21ared.gif

jg5uef.gif

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Does it work at all?Thats a trim motor from an older model.Probably put on later. I need to see whats under the motor, lift the motor all the way up and get a pic of that.Who ever put it on didn't do it right. The tilt lock should have been removed.The tilt bar (silver) shoud be in a flatter position.It has two points on 1 end and one on the other. The two points should go into two of the four holes.Then put the other in the first hole on the right.Jerry

Dublindog

Cadet

The tilt bar just has a hole on each side (one side is cracked) as for the tilt lock, I'll probably need to use it if I can't find the parts. The tilt motor makes noise, one line leaks and there is very little fluid in it. The PO said the tilt never worked and only had it 3 years. The whole setup looks cobbled together, if I where to go without what would a normal position for the tilt lock be. The tilt bar will not allow me to hold the motor in a higher position so I hope these pics will help.

28jia6h.gif

2s955ae.gif

5obk9i.gif

10wiu8p.gif

Dublindog

Cadet

Update
I filled, raised/lowered, drained and refilled the pump ( water and ATF came out at first, probably because one line was loose) wanted to get any additional water out. Lifts and lowers very smoothly now. I'm still concerned with the way the lift pistons are attached (looks like receiver pins and clips) doesn't look right. Also the tilt lock is holding the tilt bar in place. I think I found the tilt bar you described on ebay (they called it a trailering bracket http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...tem=320254992776&_trksid=p3907.m32#ht_500wt_0 hope this is right.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Someone really cobbled that outfit!!!! You have a tilt only outfit. The other half is missing.Most of these come with a trim - then tilt.You have just the tilt.
The trim would give you better speed and handling.If you want to make it complete the parts can be found on E-bay.I might be able to get the stuff if you can't find it. Jerry PM me if interested.J

Dublindog

Cadet

Found a complete setup on ebay for a 100 hp Force, appears it would work. Wish me luck.

Dublindog

Cadet

missed out on the ebay tilt/trim so looking for parts. I'd like to take the boat out and give it a shake down, so with only tilt I assume I'll need to lock the motor in at the closest and experiment with each consecutive setting until I get a good balance of hole shot and plane. Does this sound right? Another question I have is would it be unwise to try using the tilt as a trim or is this unwise/ unsafe. I only ask because the tilt holds the motor very solid at any angle, but this doesn't take into account motor thrust. Any leads for a tilt/trim for my Force would be appreciated.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner

There is a bleeder valve inside the tilt cylinder and also inside the pump. Typically, The tilt will not hold the engine up at anything much over 1200 rpm or slightly more than idle.

The way that is knocked together, PO may have adjusted the check valve inside the pump BUT mechanical advantage against the cylinder is so great, and the pins holding the cylinder are cantilevered that if you try to use tilt to hold the engine while running you are liable to break a hydraulic line or bend a pin.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner

Under way you can damage what you have with the thrust.
I sent you a PM Jerry

Dublindog

Cadet

I pretty much suspected it would be a bad thing, but it's good to have it confirmed by the pros.

maddog777

Cadet

sure could use that tilt bar you got there.... if ya dont need it

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

You can use the large pin to adjust trim. My 16 footer with an 85 force works best on the very first hole on the bottom near the transom.