Replace Impeller Of 1999 Force 40 Hp

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice
Please help...I have the impeller kit but got stuck with the shift rod issues.

I'm new to boating and really need help on my 1999 40 HP Force motor. I would like to change the impeller myself.
Below are what I think should be done.
1. separate the shift rod to turnbuckle. How? I have very little access to it. I can only insert my 3 fingers to access the turnbuckle and shift rod. How do I rotate or separate the rods? see link below for pictures? The first picture below where the stick is pointing to seems to be the shift rod location.

2. Next, remove the 4 fasteners.

I noticed that the lower and middle unit housing are like together, cannot be separated. It seems lower unit has not been taken off since it was bought. I hope I can easily separate the 2 units after working on item 1 and 2.

PICTURES BELOW

http://www.badongo.com/pic/2744940
http://www.badongo.com/pic/2744921
http://www.badongo.com/pic/2744923
http://www.badongo.com/pic/2744924
http://www.badongo.com/pic/2744925

Last edited:

steelespike

Supreme Mariner
Re: Replace Impeller Of 1999 Force 40 Hp

You should be working with a manual.Sometimes you can find them at the library.
I won't be much help but I believe that year Force may use the Mercury leg.
And yours does seem to resemble the Merc leg.
Procedure in my after market manual doesn't address shift on removal only assembly.I wonder if access is in the space created after dropping the gearcase.

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I have 1999 40 Force as well. I will try to help from memory but you should have a manual.

1. You are correct in the picture. This is where you disconnect the shift linkage. With 2 wrenches that fit loosen them. Pay attention to how many turns it takes to come off and you can put it back on in the same spot without adjustments.
2. There are 4 bolts under the fins that will have to come off and are easy to see.
3. Under the lower unit in the cavity behind the propeller is the last bolt to come off. Be sure you don't drop the lower unit.
4. When you remove the lower unit there will be a plastic connector from the top of the water pump to fall out or it may stick inside the mid leg housing.
5. As you take the water pump apart pay close attention to how it all came apart and it will be alot easier to put together.
6. When you put it back together - be sure the plastic connector lines up on top of the water pump to the tubing in the mid leg. If the lower unit does not go all the way up when assembling - do not force it. Try spinning the prop a little and the drive shaft will seat into place.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

Great. Thank you guys so much for the information.

Sweezy722,

What you described is exactly what I need to know. You mentioned manual. I already bought 1 manual and 2 videos but none is identical to my middle unit. What manual are you using? Please give details on where to buy. Is that the Mercury ($70+) manual or Seloc ($30+)? There is a Seloc online manual where I can subscribe.

Please let me know which manual will show me identical engine and body specs?
I wish to start this project this coming Saturday.

Again Thank you.

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

My manual is a Clymer I purchased on e-bay. It was the cheapest I could find at the time, but it gives me a place to start reading when I get stuck. It is a fair manual. There are probably better. Good luck.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

Last one...

1. In separating the shift rod, Which one should I turn? the turnbuckle (upper)
or the screw (lower)? and which direction to turn?
Please help me understand since I will be counting the turns.

2. Any tip on adjusting the shift rod in case after installation the gears are not working correctly.

Thank you in advance....

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The manual calls the top one the coupler and the bottom the jam nut. It acts like 2 nuts wedged together on a bolt. After you break them loose, you can hold the bottom jam nut in place with the wrench and turn the top coupler to the left to loosen and take apart. This way your jam nut will still be in the same spot when you put it back together. If you do get it out of adjustment you will know as it will not go into gear good or it will not go int gear at all. I think you should be ok by holding the locking nut in one place. If is is off or you have trouble shifting, you can adjust the coupler and locknut slightly or you can adjust with the bottom control cable from the control box coming into the motor. One more note - I mentioned turning the propeller if the lower unit did not go fully into seated position during assembly - the manual says to turn the flywheel by hand clockwise to seat the driveshaft back into the seated position. You will not have to turn it much - maybe a half turn does the trick for me.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you so much Sweezy722. You are very helpful and I like the way you detailed your response to me.
I will take pictures on this project so others with similar issues can benefit from it.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

Thank you so much Sweezy722. You are very helpful and I like the way you detailed your response to me.
I will take pictures on this project so others with similar issues can benefit from it.

3. Under the lower unit in the cavity behind the propeller is the last bolt to come off. Be sure you don't drop the lower unit.

Regarding the above, Are you saying there are 5 bolts to remove?

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Yes 5 bolts. The 5th on is on the underside of the cavitation plate to the rear of the propeller on my motor. It is easy to see from below.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

Yes 5 bolts. The 5th on is on the underside of the cavitation plate to the rear of the propeller on my motor. It is easy to see from below.

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/greatyear2008/DSC07507.jpg

The above link has the piture that shows the bolts in my L/U and the only bolts I thought I should remove to separate the lower to middle unit is the 4 bolts located in 2 sides. Do you see the fifth bolt in the picture? Please help so I can continue my plan this weekend....

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

To the far left in the picture where the blue tape is - remove this bolt and it will remove the trim tab - the piece with the little fin sticking down. The 5th bolt to remove the loser unit will be under the trim tab. Someone took my trim tab off long ago and I forgot about the trim tab.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

To the far left in the picture where the blue tape is - remove this bolt and it will remove the trim tab - the piece with the little fin sticking down. The 5th bolt to remove the loser unit will be under the trim tab. Someone took my trim tab off long ago and I forgot about the trim tab.

So the fifth bolt is the one that holds the trim tab.
Thank you so much. I hope everything goes well on my impeller replacement project this week end.

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

The 5th bolt is behind the trim tab. You will have to take the trim tab off and the 5th bolt will be in the recess of the trim tab.

gjm

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Clymer manual is the best if you can not find original manufacturer one

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice

Please help.....Result seems not a success.

Test Neutral:
1. move clockwise and counter clockwise....Success...

Test forward gear:
1. I push the lever all the way forward(forward gear).
2. I turned propeller clockwise. I heard a click sound (like slipping on something) as I rotate propeller. Is the click sound normal? Why am I getting a click sound as I turn it clockwise?
3. I turned propeller counter clockwise. It does not move. I believed this is ok.

Test reverse:
1. I pull the lever all the way backwards (reverse gear)
2. I turned propeller counter clockwise. It does not move.
3. I turned propeller clockwise. It does not move either...

I hope I get answer tonight..I really wanted to finish this project this weekend. It is difficult to start the week thingking about this....

sweezy722

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Mine does exactly the same. The real test will be in the water. It sounds like congratulations are in order.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice
Re:1999 Force 40 Hp - My Replace Impeller Project

Re:1999 Force 40 Hp - My Replace Impeller Project

Mine does exactly the same. The real test will be in the water. It sounds like congratulations are in order.

So, I'll take this as a success then even it was not tested on water.

One thing I knew is I saved 150.00 because of your help...I'll open new thread and hope to hear from you....Thank you.

basstracker2008

Seaman Apprentice
Re: 1999 Force 40 Hp - My Replace Impeller Project

Re: 1999 Force 40 Hp - My Replace Impeller Project

So, I'll take this as a success then even it was not tested on water.

One thing I knew is I saved 150.00 because of your help...I'll open new thread and hope to hear from you....Thank you.

Tested on a bucket of water just to see how the impeller would spit water on tee tale. I see a big improvement compare to before.

However, I noticed 2 things where I need your opinion:
1. the water in the bin turned to brown with sign of oil.
2. The water in the bin bubbles up while the motor was running. I think that was caused by the holes shown on the picture below. Is this an exhaust?

http://i254.photobucket.com/albums/hh92/greatyear2008/DSC07454.jpg