Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Ok, here are my pics:

The basic install using the Baxtr design:

boat00000s.jpg

Then I added this copper bend to the outlet hose:

boat00005s.jpg

And here it is in action! Nice stream for only idle! Bet that will shoot over 6 feet when cruising!

boat00002s.jpg

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok, here are my pics:

The basic install using the Baxtr design:

I'm thinkin' I should have patented this design :)

LOL

Looks great

4runneradam

Petty Officer 1st Class

Looks good! Only thing I'd suggest is silicone it in place. This will keep the water out, and will prevent the thing from rotating and spraying you in the boat with water!

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Looks good! Only thing I'd suggest is silicone it in place. This will keep the water out, and will prevent the thing from rotating and spraying you in the boat with water!

Yeah, the kids already want to know if I can point it back into the boat so they get sprinkled while we cruise. Oh boy...

Almost exactly the same installation as mine, except yours is much neater and I wasn't brave enough to drill a hole in the motor casing.
My tell-tale follows the fuel line out and spurts water from a tube secured to the outside cables.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

... I wasn't brave enough to drill a hole in the motor casing....

Ya know, until I bought this Bayliner, I thought that Bayliners were crap, and Force were junk. I have been working on the Force (cleaning up all the bad mechanicing the previous owner did) and just love working on that motor! It is simple and all hardware is solid or heavy duty.

Drilling a hole in the lower unit cover was a real surprise. The darn thing is cast aluminum and it is VERY thick. There is nothing cheap about this motor that I have found so far.

Although the Bayliner is not a top of the line machine, it is not rotten, doesn't smell, is solid and well built. I don't understand why people complain about these boats. I have to admit the '85 I bought was garage kept, but it is still 23 years old and solid as can be.

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

drilling that hole surprised me too, I was thinking that it was fiberglass and yes, it was aluminum. If you take care of the bayliners, they will take care of you. under the seats, the plywood edges aren't wrapped with fiberglass so when water gets under the seat it can rot out, I have a few spots, but that was the previous owner that left it outside.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I ran the boat on the bay the last two weeks of August. Ran very nice and the telltale performed just as it should. Boy, when the motor gets revved up the stream from the hose shoots back 8 or more feet! If the wind was right, it was over 12 feet! Got quite a few stares and folk pointing while passing through crowed no-wake zones with a 3 ft stream shooting out the back in a big arc.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well it seems I have the slotted screwdriver plug also, and yes I broke a brand new stanley driver, don't know why I thought mine would come out easer than the others(wishful thinking?)That one service guy seems to have worked on my motor as well. :D

But by the end of the day I will have it baxtr-ized ;) Got nothing to do until my water pump arrives, other than getting that plug out. :(

Last edited:

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Boat003.jpg

Boat001-1.jpg

Boat002.jpg

Boat005.jpg

This is what mine turned out like.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well this is what mine turned out like. A very big attaboy baxtr.

Boat003.jpg

Boat002.jpg

Boat001-1.jpg

Boat005.jpg

Thanks for the pictures as well.

gunner1

Petty Officer 1st Class

Is this possible to do on an early to mid eighties Force 50 hp outboard?

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

looks great rude!

gunner, do you have a plug on the top of your t stat housing? that is where you put a barbed fitting for the hose. I have heard of some people drilling and tapping the housing if there is no plug.

Looking at a schem of a 1984 50 hp force, it looks to have the plug, some,as you read, were straight blade screws, mine was a square head plug.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks baxtr, I dont know how I got it posted twice.I did put a tie wrap on the hose barb . I dont have my LU on the motor so I used an old waterhose "lightly" clamped on the copper tube.When I get the water pump back on I will run it so the t-stat will open up and flush the insides. This motor needed a good flushing as it has been in salt water only for the last 7 years.

If you have the slotted plug don't even try to take it out with a screwdriver, you will pop the end of it in a nanosecond :eek: Mine took a impact tool and after it turned 3/4 turn I went back to a "NEW" screwdriver and it broke also.

I dont know who the gorilla was that did the install of these plugs but I'am thinking it could have been the Gov. of California in the old days :D

bjhc100

Seaman Apprentice

Great idea. Dumb question. Is this pipe connection commonly used on other force engines, or is it limited to only 3 cylinder models. Also could this fitting be uded to hook up a flush line? Thanks HC

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have seen it on a lot of them, Mine is a 4 cyl, the 50 is a 2 cyl. Flushing? it's only a 1/4 inch hole, don't know how much flushing pressure you would get through there

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Someone correct me if I'am wrong here.

I do not beleve you can use the telltail to flush the motor, the T-stat is closed when motor is not running and motor isnt warmed up so I beleve.

Anyway there wouldn't be the volume of water running in the motor you would need for a good flush.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

If you want to flush, I suggest putting a 35 - 50 gallon plastic trash can under the lower unit and run the motor in there. The pressure and flow is ALWAYS much better when the lower unit is submerged than on a garden hose.

The garden hose works too, but does not provide the volumn of water that a trash can does. Plus reving up a bit in a trash can does not starve the pump for water like a hose can, so you get the full benefit of higher pressure and flow when using a can.

puddle jumper

Captain

looks great rude!

gunner, do you have a plug on the top of your t stat housing? that is where you put a barbed fitting for the hose. I have heard of some people drilling and tapping the housing if there is no plug.

Looking at a schem of a 1984 50 hp force, it looks to have the plug, some,as you read, were straight blade screws, mine was a square head plug.

Yes you can just like in the pictures above. I did mine a while ago and never had a problem. All i recomend is to use brass for your fittings not cast iron.

Status
Not open for further replies.