Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

besides harbor freight of course, I wouldn't trust anything from there that requires it being hit with a hammer.

yohuallin

Cadet

im pretty new to this, but i was wondering what is the benefit of this mod.. thanks

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

it is a visual sign that your water pump is working

hangman

Recruit

I have had my Force outboard for 16 years now - I've been very pleased with it - except for the lack of a tell-tale. I've always been envious of people with other engines who can see that little spray of water comming out the side.
I have a 1989, 85 Hp Force - it has a 1/4" pipe plug with the slotted end. When you guys refer to the impact screwdriver - do you mean one of those screwdrivers that you whack with a hammer and that makes it turn?.
Also is that 1/4" pipe plug an NPT - it almost looks like a finer thread than that.

Jeff

puddle jumper

Captain

Yup that's what an impact driver is. I used heat from a small propane torch to heat it up and a couple of raps with a hammer on a screw driver. After heating it it came out quite easy. I used 1/4 inch pipe thread and it worked very well. Hope this helps.
Welcome aboard.

dwh4784

Cadet

I added this last night on my 85hp Force. Mine had the slotted plug and came out easily with a normal flathead screwdriver. I almost didn't even try it after reading how hard some of them are to get out, I guess I got lucky:D

yohuallin

Cadet

so im i the only one that has not gotten any water trough the hole

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Are you running on water muffs or in a tank/trash can? If you are not getting water out, and you're running in a tank the lower unit may not be deep enough to submerge the water pump. If the pump is not submerged (and not running on water muffs where the water pressure fills the pump) no water will exit the hole and the pump can be damaged.

The lower unit needs water above the cavitation plate to prime the pump.

Or if you are using muffs, they may not be fitted right.

Or there may be crud buildup where the plug was removed from the head. Try sticking in a piece of wire to ensure the area is open.

Or you may have a bad impeller in the water pump.

wayne h

Master Chief Petty Officer

gald i found this i was thinking of adding a water pressure gauge BUT i think i am going to do this simple cheap mod to my 50 force .. sould u consider this better then a pessure gauge i dont really like the idea of taking water away from the engine

puddle jumper

Captain

Wanyne Like I did I added a restricter to mine but you will be just fine with out one. A pressure gage is fine also. Once you get to know about how much water comes out at different RPMs you will be able to tell if the water pump is failing. Like you said a cheep indicator that works.

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

I used 1/4 in i.d. tubing for mine and also restricted it. I just bought a nipple that went from 1/4 to 1/8 outlet. The total hook up probably cost me about four bucks. Works like a charm not to mention i get pretty good distance with it.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Has anyone tried this since last year?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

gald i found this i was thinking of adding a water pressure gauge BUT i think i am going to do this simple cheap mod to my 50 force .. sould u consider this better then a pessure gauge i dont really like the idea of taking water away from the engine

Given the choice, I would go with a pressure gauge because the gauge is on the dash in front of your face and you don't have to turn around to check. Also its easy to note the different pressure readings at different RPM. Once you are familiar with the pressure/rpm readings, you can tell if the pump is not working as well as it once did.

At any rate, the telltale is a great simple upgrade that should have come with the motor in the first place.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Given the choice, I would go with a pressure gauge because the gauge is on the dash in front of your face and you don't have to turn around to check. Also its easy to note the different pressure readings at different RPM. Once you are familiar with the pressure/rpm readings, you can tell if the pump is not working as well as it once did.

At any rate, the telltale is a great simple upgrade that should have come with the motor in the first place.
A gauge ran to the dash seems a bit much don't it?
Either the water is flowing or its not right?

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

A gauge ran to the dash seems a bit much don't it?
Either the water is flowing or its not right?

Not exactly. The impeller can start to degrade, still pump water, but not at the same flow/rate. So even though you see water coming from the telltale, it may not be high enough flow to properly cool the motor at WOT. Temps rise under load, and an impeller that is not pumping at full capacity can let the motor run hotter or overheat.

But the telltale is a huge improvement over nothing at all.

briguy2817

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Why not add a temp guage? It would be more accurate in telling you if the impeller is turning or if it's the thermostat. You could use the same hole that you use for the telltale just wire it up into the dash and your good to go.

Yes it may be easier to add a rubber line but wouldn't the temp guage be more accurate?

Brian

puddle jumper

Captain

Probably, but not all boats have a 12v electrical system or a place to mount a temp gage.

Status
Not open for further replies.