Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral
Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

On an L-Drive, the tail would hit the people in the back seat:D

I've thought about this wild idea...an 'On Demand Telltale'.
Plumbed in like normal, but with a little solenoid valve run from a push button on the dash. 'Press to Test' Even thought about running the tube all the way up to a small thru hull beside the dash. Driver could press the button and just look out the side to verify.... Hmmmm Think about it....

Wow! A working L drive? Thats pretty cool and rare! How do you like it?

contractorguy

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Wow! A working L drive? Thats pretty cool and rare! How do you like it?

Not sure yet... I bought it as a basket case project last fall. Should be able to get it in the water in about a month:redface:

mrhopf

Recruit

Will this work on any motor ie: 87 force 50 it's an awesome idea

ship5182

Cadet

If you have the plug in the top of the engine like the photos which you should you can do it.

puddle jumper

Captain

This is how i plumed mine i used a 10inch new grease gun hose, 45deg brass
fitting, 90deg brass fitting and a grease fitting to fit the end of the 45deg fitting coming out of the engine housing.I ground out the check ball in the
grease and as you can see used it for a restriction so i would not loose as muchwater psi in the cooling system.
HPIM0470.jpg

HPIM0471-1.jpg
This is what mine looks like

Jack Daniels

Petty Officer 1st Class

Which is better the telltale or the pressure gauge? And do they both hook up the same way, can you use both? Just brain storming right now, as my 83 FORCE will probably have this done, I am assuming it has the plug on the top of the head also. Thanks

puddle jumper

Captain

I think most will tell you a pressure gage is the best. Ive never had an issue with my tell tale. I don't think you can have both becouse the tell tale will deplete the pressure for the gage. May be some one has done it and share how its done.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have both a tell tale and a pressure gauge on my Evinrude. If you connect them both to the same fitting on the block, I would restrict the output from the tell tale a bit (say plug with a 3/16" hole at the end of the hose) so that the pressure gauge is more accurate.

imported_rusty

Petty Officer 2nd Class

so i can put some heat on the fitting first so i wont break my screwdriver? I wont damage anything will I? can I use a propane torch?

puddle jumper

Captain

I don't think you will have any problems. Some times on stubborn screws and bolts it helps to give them a good rap with a hammer. Not to hard to brake anything but a good rap.

Gamblerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Ok guys I was playing around with the force to day and came up with this way of doing the telltale.Take a new valve stem ( the same as you would use for car rim and drill a hole and pop her in with the stem on the inside of the case.Now I used a longer stem so I could slip the hose up over it about a inch or so.Now you can ajust the water flow with the valve in the stem. Works like a champ.With the stem you get a nice factory look and a watertight seal.
Sorry I dont have pics (BUT I WILL)

SHAWN:)

jim_b_20653

Petty Officer 3rd Class

This is a great idea. No tell tale was one of the things I did not like about Force. I'll be adding this mod to my 120 very soon.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

Ok guys I was playing around with the force to day and came up with this way of doing the telltale.Take a new valve stem ( the same as you would use for car rim and drill a hole and pop her in with the stem on the inside of the case.Now I used a longer stem so I could slip the hose up over it about a inch or so.Now you can ajust the water flow with the valve in the stem. Works like a champ.With the stem you get a nice factory look and a watertight seal.
Sorry I dont have pics (BUT I WILL)

SHAWN:)

Interesting... Where were you able to reach inside the water jacket to install a valve stem from the inside out?

Gamblerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Im sorry I was not clear about what to do in my first post.Run your hose off the nipple just like the post before and thin drill a hole in the case (not the engine) and pull the valve stem through.Now all you have coming out of the case is a nice little button with a clean look.You can ajust water with a turn of the valve.:D

rustyr

Cadet

Hey guys! I did this to my 35 H.P. Force a couple of weeks ago....my motor has a bracket where the coils are mounted, so I had to do a little grinding on that bracket to make it work. But it's well worth the effort to know my water pump's working. I drilled the hole and used the short piece of bent copper tubing. Wish I'd done this years ago.
rustyr

Gamblerman

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry I cant post host pixs.:confused If someone can help let me know.:)

bman1bpm

Chief Petty Officer

I've got the flathead plug on my 79 140hp chrysler, its also a flathead on my spare head. That mechanic got both of them! I've never seen a torch actually get a bolt loose, but maybe I haven't tried enough haha. WHere do you get one of those fancy impact screwdrivers?

Status
Not open for further replies.