Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

I'm going to do mine like mark42!
Maybe the hot water will keep the jet skis off my wake.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm going to do mine like mark42!
Maybe the hot water will keep the jet skis off my wake.

If your water gets that hot comming out I don't think you would have any wake for them to jump.LOL

I found that a box of rocks works better:D J/K

I don't mind them as long as they don't get too close, I even cut back to provide a larger wake for them.

When they crash, man they crash.

I had one cut between my boat and trailer a few weeks ago when I was loading up, I was 10 feet from touching the bunks.

I like the idea of a telltail, takes the guess work out.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I had one cut between my boat and trailer a few weeks ago when I was loading up, I was 10 feet from touching the bunks.

Man i thought they where crazy by me!
I was going to bring my boat next time i went to my parents in Mississippi but not if they are that crazy.

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I like Rudedude's work. With the rubber grommet and lower outlet location for the hose, it looks like factory original. Just the way Johnson/Evinrude did it on my Evenrude 40hp. Details make the difference!

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I like Rudedude's work. With the rubber grommet and lower outlet location for the hose, it looks like factory original. Just the way Johnson/Evinrude did it on my Evenrude 40hp. Details make the difference!

I must confess, all my other motors in the past have been Evinrudes, Its quite a mess of motors in all my 57 years , I have a 1977 70 hp rude sitten in my shop right now waiting for a jet pump ,all Rudes , Dudes ( get it?) LOL

Thank You Mark42

A very short history of the "rudedude" I started life as a welder, became a fairly desent one at that after 26 years. My true love was guideing but it wont pay the bills when seasons are closed,so I welded in the off seasons. Opened a weekend guide service and ended up doing only that for the last few years. Now that I have retired Iam doing it full time again along with a jet pump shop as soon as I return to Washington State. Everything I have learned about outboard motors is due to break downs and just couldn't afford to have a boat shop fix them.

I must say this forum is a very big help and get as many parts off iboats as I need or they have for my motors.

eeards, You haven't seen a jet skier until you have seen a redneck on one LOL When you come down bring your video camera , you could make it on AFV and get some money for it.ha ha ha ha ha ha

These people are waiting in line to launch there PWC and get on them out of the water, still on the trailers and start them up. Go to WOT and sit there looking around . I dont know for sure but I think they are watercooled but only in the water? They sound like every bearing or moveing part in them is ready to explode.

Some days I spend a lot of time just watching these knotheads thinking I should open a jet ski repair shop but don't dare as I would spend too much time shakeing my and that gets my neck hunting.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

you can run the ski's out of the water for brief periods. as a matter of fact, when I take mine out of the water I do run it 20 seconds or so...get's the water out of the exhaust system. This is in the manual....and yes those impellers sound like bad bearings out of the water....but put the ski in and they are quiet.....go figure!

ps....my 1996 Force 120 already had a tell-tale coming out the right side of the housing.....same spot as my Merc 35.

Bigprairie1

Commander

The ingenuity shown by the people of this forum is unbelievable. I hope the manufacturers check in from time to time to get some ideas on how to improve things.
Its good been able to tap into this kind of info/idea base, keep it up.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

The ingenuity shown by the people of this forum is unbelievable. I hope the manufacturers check in from time to time to get some ideas on how to improve things.
Its good been able to tap into this kind of info/idea base, keep it up.

I think the manufactures would rather not put tell tails on there motors, power heads are costly and if joe smuck-a-telly Knows the moment his water pump go out ,well you get the idea. LOL

I have noticed that most motors have a drilled and tapped hold in them,set up to mount a pressure guage or tell tail. I guess there just options for the motor buyer.

Its like Harleys, there is a company guy at almost every bike rally and his job it to look at what inovated ideas the rider has come up with, if there good then you will see how they come out the next year with what is popular on the streets. Motor builders Iam sure do this as well.

Big, I see your in the northwet also. I will be moveing back out there in a couple months.

eedwards

Petty Officer 2nd Class

My 1975 90hp has the plug on top also so they might of always had it there.

On mine thou just to check the thermostat looks like i have to take off the head:mad:

I see in the picks on the forces there is a small cover on the thermostat:)

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

you can run the ski's out of the water for brief periods. as a matter of fact, when I take mine out of the water I do run it 20 seconds or so...get's the water out of the exhaust system. This is in the manual....and yes those impellers sound like bad bearings out of the water....but put the ski in and they are quiet.....go figure!

ps....my 1996 Force 120 already had a tell-tale coming out the right side of the housing.....same spot as my Merc 35.

These pepole run there from 1 to 5 min. That cant be good. I would think that would damage the impeller on them. Thanks for the info ,I guess I wont start shakeing my head after a couple min. LOL

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 1975 90hp has the plug on top also so they might of always had it there.

On mine thou just to check the thermostat looks like i have to take off the head:mad:

I see in the picks on the forces there is a small cover on the thermostat:)

I dont know about that. Mine has just a cover over it.

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

These pepole run there from 1 to 5 min. That cant be good. I would think that would damage the impeller on them. Thanks for the info ,I guess I wont start shakeing my head after a couple min. LOL

shouldn't be run over 30 seconds or so and when running, not revved up until right before you shut off, but then just a partial rev...blows the water out...if they're running them for over 30 seconds, shake your head at them and smile cause they're keeping a ski mechanic in business! :D

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

OK, I will start shakeing my head at 30 sec, giggle at 1 min, and all out bust up after that. When they rev the thing past 1/2, point my finger,shake my head, and bust out rolling on the ground Then. :p

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

OK, I will start shakeing my head at 30 sec, giggle at 1 min, and all out bust up after that. When they rev the thing past 1/2, point my finger,shake my head, and bust out rolling on the ground Then. :p

You got it! just remember they're keeping the economy going!

I know, I know, off topic.... maybe I'll post a post about the guy coming by my place in no wake zone on pwc wearing jeans, got stuck on sandbar and revving sucking up sand in impeller!...now that was funny!

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

If you think your haveing too much water comming out of your new tell-tail, use a wire tie to restrict the water. Choke it down a little. This will increase your water pressure in the motor if you think the tell-tail hose is letting too much water out.

Boat007.jpg

Its not the best picture but you get the Idea.

Last edited:

mtnlimo

Cadet

What a cool post just what I wanted to do to my 85 50 hp force.
I went one step further after removing the plug from the t stat housing I threaded in a brass barbed fitting and attached the tubing.

Thought about how to exit the tube and couldnt find any grommets or fittings
that would work. This is what I came up with. I found a location with enough clearance an the side of the cowl on the drivers side and drilled a hole for a secod barbed fitting and installed it with the barbed portion on the inside. Got a brass flared nut and threaded it to the fitting on the outside of the cowl.

Just connect the other end of the tube to the second fitting and presto you got a really nice installation. The aluminum is thick enough so you can really tighten the nut on the fitting. Im about 300 miles away from my boat right now and cant show a photo but will see what I can do when I get home.

Another idea I thought of was to use a 1/4 brass shut off valve like for a fridge icemaker inline on the tubing. That way you could adjust the amount of water coming out the tell tale.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

I was thinking about the valve also but decieded to go cheep LOL

Another was to restrict the flow is to insert a smaller tube in the larger one, this works just as well.

Dont forget to tell everyone you baxtr-ized it ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

Now if my water pump would come in I could get-er-done. ( They sent the wrong part, not iboats,antoher parts place. iboats did not have what I needed in stock)

baxtr

Petty Officer 1st Class

Baxtr-ized.........I like that.

I can't take the credit for the idea though, I got it from The Marine Doctor.

rudedude

Petty Officer 1st Class

Well I'am sure your not the first one to do it but still yours is the first post I seen explaining it so well. BAXTR-IZED. :D:D:D:D

1fullforce

Seaman

Baxtr-ized.........I like that.

I can't take the credit for the idea though, I got it from The Marine Doctor.

EVERYBODY HUUEERRAYYYY FOR BAXTR-IZED HE IS OUR HEROEEEEE
WHO IN THE WORLD IS THE MARINE DOCTOR????
BAXTR-IZED IS OUR MANNN

Status
Not open for further replies.