X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Ok I have to ask.

What does the tell tale do? I am guessing it shoots a stream of water when the motor is running? Wouldn't that affect the cooling or is it not enough to have any affect?

Comment

Not enough to effect the cooling of the motor.

But it gives you a visual indicator that your water pump is working.
      Medford, WI

Comment

Nice. I might look into that on mine then. Especially since I am getting ready to replace my impeller.

Comment

I picked up a 1/4 hose barb (1/4 npt to 1/4 id hose) at the hardware store ($1.50) and put 1/4" fuel line on it. Drilled a 1/2" hole in the lower housing starboard side and let it stick out an inch or so. Pretty much looks like Baxtr's photo except with black fuel line. Then I took 3" of 1/4" copper tube and bent an L shape and inserted it in the fuel line. That lets me adjust the direction of the telltale from down to back to up. Makes it easier to see when it shoots up and back. Kind of neat too!
          sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

I like the bent copper idea!
            sigpic

Comment

Ok, here are my pics:

The basic install using the Baxtr design:

Then I added this copper bend to the outlet hose:

And here it is in action! Nice stream for only idle! Bet that will shoot over 6 feet when cruising!

sigpic 1985 Bayliner 1600 Capri Cuddy, 1965 MFG Niagara Custom. >> MFG Video<<. >> MFG Project<< >>Bayliner Hard Top Project<< >>Bayliner Repower Project<<

Comment

Originally posted by Mark42 View Post
                Ok, here are my pics:

The basic install using the Baxtr design:

I'm thinkin' I should have patented this design

LOL

Looks great
                sigpic

Comment

Looks good! Only thing I'd suggest is silicone it in place. This will keep the water out, and will prevent the thing from rotating and spraying you in the boat with water!

Comment

Originally posted by 4runneradam View Post
                    Looks good! Only thing I'd suggest is silicone it in place. This will keep the water out, and will prevent the thing from rotating and spraying you in the boat with water!
                    Yeah, the kids already want to know if I can point it back into the boat so they get sprinkled while we cruise. Oh boy...

Comment

Almost exactly the same installation as mine, except yours is much neater and I wasn't brave enough to drill a hole in the motor casing.
                      My tell-tale follows the fuel line out and spurts water from a tube secured to the outside cables.

Comment

Originally posted by strawberry mivi View Post
                        ... I wasn't brave enough to drill a hole in the motor casing....

Ya know, until I bought this Bayliner, I thought that Bayliners were crap, and Force were junk. I have been working on the Force (cleaning up all the bad mechanicing the previous owner did) and just love working on that motor! It is simple and all hardware is solid or heavy duty.

Drilling a hole in the lower unit cover was a real surprise. The darn thing is cast aluminum and it is VERY thick. There is nothing cheap about this motor that I have found so far.

Although the Bayliner is not a top of the line machine, it is not rotten, doesn't smell, is solid and well built. I don't understand why people complain about these boats. I have to admit the '85 I bought was garage kept, but it is still 23 years old and solid as can be.

Comment

drilling that hole surprised me too, I was thinking that it was fiberglass and yes, it was aluminum. If you take care of the bayliners, they will take care of you. under the seats, the plywood edges aren't wrapped with fiberglass so when water gets under the seat it can rot out, I have a few spots, but that was the previous owner that left it outside.
                          sigpic

Comment

nicee

Comment

I ran the boat on the bay the last two weeks of August. Ran very nice and the telltale performed just as it should. Boy, when the motor gets revved up the stream from the hose shoots back 8 or more feet! If the wind was right, it was over 12 feet! Got quite a few stares and folk pointing while passing through crowed no-wake zones with a 3 ft stream shooting out the back in a big arc.

Comment

Well it seems I have the slotted screwdriver plug also, and yes I broke a brand new stanley driver, don't know why I thought mine would come out easer than the others(wishful thinking?)That one service guy seems to have worked on my motor as well.

But by the end of the day I will have it baxtr-ized Got nothing to do until my water pump arrives, other than getting that plug out.
                                Last edited by rudedude; September 11th, 2007, 05:42 AM. Reason: spelling
                                sigpic1986 Bayliner and a 125 HP Force

Comment

Working...
                                X