Can I add a telltale to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MAXXIE

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Can I add a telltale to the Force?

I just finished adding the Tell Tail mod to my 1985 Force 85hp. I had the SS slotted plug in the top & after reading here how hard some of them were to get out I grabbed the vise grips & walked over to the motor looking for a fight. I gave it a squirt of "PB Blaster", good stuff, & it spun right out, Thank God. I thought it would be cool if it had dual exit tube's, so I split the tube at the bottom & have 2 pressure fittings with 1/2" long 1/4" copper tubing for tip's. It was late when I finished up last night & did not get the chance to fire it up, but as soon as I get home from work I'll give it a try. I also angled the copper tube's
to point up & out so they will be easy to see just by turning my head while under way. I hope the impeller is in good shape so the stream's of water shoot way out there,(just got the boat & motor, & only had it on the water for an hour or so to test it out). I'll post up a few pic.'s later today with it running on the hose in the drive way. This is a cool/helpful idea, Thanks to those who came up with it. Later, MAXX

Bundy2230

Recruit

I have been reading all I can on the Telltale and would like to Install one on my 1990 50 HP Force Motor. However the plug on the top of mine is made of plastic and I fear I will just break it off if I apply any more pressure to this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also will I do any harm if some small pieces of this plastic should fall down in the Hole if I can get this loose? Thank you

canoboy1983

Cadet

what is that screw and wire that is connected to the fitting on top? can i disconnect this to add a telltale?

Bundy2230

Recruit

I have been reading all I can on the Telltale and would like to Install one on my 1990 50 HP Force Motor. However the plug on the top of mine is made of plastic and I fear I will just break it off if I apply any more pressure to this. Does anyone have any suggestions? Also will I do any harm if some small pieces of this plastic should fall down in the Hole if I can get this loose? Thank you
I went ahead with this and used an Easy-out to get the plastic plug out Cleaned tge threads, Then took off Thermostat to flush Re-installed thermo and installed Brass Fitting and Hose and now have a Telltale that works Super.

Smokepole27

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I lucked out at work and stole this brass fitting from an old airhandling unit we were scrapping and it worked out perfectly! One side with a cap for now until I connect a pressure or temp gauge and the other with well you see

Attachments

• 0611001252.jpg
    0611001252.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 20

wan2live

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I lucked out at work and stole this brass fitting from an old airhandling unit we were scrapping and it worked out perfectly! One side with a cap for now until I connect a pressure or temp gauge and the other with well you see

How do you get around having shavings getting into the internal parts when drilling the hole?

my1stboat1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have 2 questions.. 1 do you guys get alot of water in your splashwell while anchored up the splashwell in my 16 ft bayliner/trophy center console gets tons of water back there untill i start moving then it emptys out no problem

question num 2 i want to add this telltail i CANNOT FOR THE life of me get the slotted plug out of the head... I have lubed it with powerlube, liquid wrench and heat ... do you guys have any ideasss...

thanks
mike c

Mark42

Fleet Admiral

I have 2 questions.. 1 do you guys get alot of water in your splashwell while anchored up the splashwell in my 16 ft bayliner/trophy center console gets tons of water back there untill i start moving then it emptys out no problem

question num 2 i want to add this telltail i CANNOT FOR THE life of me get the slotted plug out of the head... I have lubed it with powerlube, liquid wrench and heat ... do you guys have any ideasss...

thanks
mike c

Heat and use the hand held impact driver that is struck with a hammer. Its how I got mine out.

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

How do you get around having shavings getting into the internal parts when drilling the hole?

You shouldnt have to drill a hole. THere's already a hole there with a plug or screw in it. If you did have to drill it out if it was stuck then i'd do it with the engine cold. After threading the hole start the engine and let it warm up completely and run for a bit to push the shavings out. Shouldnt damage anything.

Blackacid

Seaman Apprentice

I may have missed this... but how long does the motor generally need to run before the thermostat opens up?

jason32038

Chief Petty Officer

It's a mystery black it depends on the weather and water temperature.

capri1600

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Finally got around to adding a telltale to my 1983 Force 85. My plug was a slotted head and was in tight but I did get it out. Talk about peace of mind?! What a great addition to the engine.

Marty
http://www.martyhammersmith.com

puddle jumper

Captain

It fun seeing how every one makes there tell tail. All accomplish the same operation but are unlike.

Status
Not open for further replies.