Lower shock mount 1990 120hp force

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've decide to try to resurect my 120 force that i blew last september.....i found another motor that has a good powerhead so i'm gonna swap them out...but on both the lower shock mounts are broken and since i have it completely apart i thought it would be wise to either fix it or get another one...can these be fixed in any way? has anyone been able to jerry rig it into a workable part? or does anyone have a used one for sale? it will be going on a 1990 US marine force 120... you can contact me at kajun29 at yahoo.com or here

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower shock mount 1990 120hp force

Take the shock mount off the engine. If the engine is not apart, you will need to remove the lower bolts from the upper shock biscuits. these bolts are located on either side just above the bolts holding the rear shroud. Now you can tilt the engine to get more working room.
After removing the shock, clean it well and glue it together with GOOD QUALITY rubber and metal adhesive. I was able to get some industrial 3M Scotchgrip plastic adhesive 1099. Let it dry a couple of days.
Now: There will be a center hole filled with rubber. about 3/4 inch on either side of the center drill a 1/4 inch hole. Countersink it 3/4 diameter about 3/8 inch into the thick aluminum piece. then tap 5/16 right through the rubber and thin piece. Insert two 5/16 flat head stainless screws. Use a length that will be flush with the surface of the thin piece while bottoming out in the countersunk hole. I think I used 1 1/4 inch long last time I did it. The countersunk hole will allow the screws to move without hitting the mountings when the rubber compresses under load. There is enough friction in the tapped rubber holes to keep the screws from backing out, but for safety's sake, I always stake the thread end into the thin aluminum plate.
Ta Da! You now have a rubber shock mount that will outlast the engine and you.

Kajun37

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Lower shock mount 1990 120hp force

thanks frank..exactly what i was looking for!