Changing an ignition switch on a 1988 Force 125

Status
Not open for further replies.

robsp2000

Cadet
I just bought a 1988 Bayliner and I am new to boating. The ignition switch was rotating in the dash everytime you turn the key and in an attempt to tighten it, the plastic threaded column snapped. With a little electrical tape I am holding it in place. So I ordered a new ignition switch. My question is how easy or difficult is it to swap in the new one?<br />I am somewhat competent with wiring, although I did short out the tow harness on my Xterra twice trying to test the nonworking lights on my trailer but I would rather never speak of that again.<br />Just wanted to see if this is an easy task or if I should get a pro to do it?

Re: Changing an ignition switch on a 1988 Force 125

Well my experience was not good. Wiring up the switch, easy just some small screws on the back side of the swtich. Wiring it up correctly, hard without a manual. My engine was a 1967 and I miswired a few lines and blew out my coil, points, and condensor. So $100 later hopefully I am all set again.<br />Moral of the story, make sure you re-wire correctly!

robsp2000

Cadet

That's not good.<br />I am going to take some digital pictures before I take off the old one and print them out for when I install the new one. I guess I will find out more about it when I pick the part up today.

Good idea, basically what I did was switch two wires, one for the magneto, one for the tach, the instructions weren't the clearest. By doing that apparently I overheated the system and burned up some wires / electrics.

Scaaty

Vice Admiral

There is a lot of wires on that switch..color code and label everyone before removing

robsp2000

Cadet

Originally posted by Robby6950:<br /> There is a lot of wires on that switch..color code and label everyone before removing
I noticed that. I looked quickley, do I have to solder the wires on or do they pull off?

jkoppen73

Cadet
Did you know you are responding to a 14 yr old post? Obtain a wiring diagram for your boat, it will have all the info you need, start a new post

Status
Not open for further replies.