85 hp force no reverse just foward have relpaced cotter pin and adj cables!!!

mspese

Recruit
I was backing away from my dock I forgot to flip the lever to lock the motor down. as I was in reverse the motor came out up out of the water as I easyed off the throtel the motor came back down. I tryed to go foward but it wouldnt go. so i came back to the dock in reverse. as I looked at the motor back at the dock I noticed the cotter pin from the shift rod was missing. so I thought it was a quick fix I ordered a new pin and a bolt and put it in. now the motor wont go foward. I un hooked the cables and i could manualy shift it into reverse. but the cables dont travel far enough to get it to shift..anyone have any ideas..I have no experence in outboard motors but if its just a adjustment i would like to try it before taking it into a shop..so far i only have $5.00 into the fix..o yea its a 85 hp force outboard i think the year is 1987? thanks

timfromfc

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: 85 hp force no reverse just foward have relpaced cotter pin and adj cables!!

Re: 85 hp force no reverse just foward have relpaced cotter pin and adj cables!!

Since you can manually shift to forward and reverse, you probably just need to adjust the cable. I have an 86 85 hp Force and recently had to tweak with mine. Both ends of the cable (on the motor and the controller) could be adjusted. I disconnected the cable on the motor side when the controller was in neutral and would losen or tighten the cable, then reconnect, put it into gear (forward and reverse) and see if the prop would spin. I would keep making minor tweaks until the prop locked in both gears.

mspese

Recruit

I have adjusted the cable all the way out at both ends and the cable still wont travel far enough foward at the motor adjustment to engage foward gears? I am stumped. could I have bent the shift rod? and if so is it a hard job to replace? Thats the only thing I can think of.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

What year model and horsepower is your motor?

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Never mind the horsepower, what is the year model?

mspese

Recruit

I have the two numbers I dont know what numbers are the model #.......1858...........856x7B....does that help? I think we bought it in 1987 but I am not sure.

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Sounds like you need to adjust the shift linkage. On your motor, it is a little too complicated to explain here. I would suggest getting a clymer or seloc manual. Make the linkage adjustment first, then adjust your cable to match the linkage.

fhrussell

Cadet

I believe I'm having the same issue. I brought the motor to the shop where the tech said I had forward, manually. As for my cables, I know I am at the furthest adjustment possible. Should I ask the tech to adjust the linkage, then install the motor and readjust the cables?

fhrussell

Cadet

By the way..... my motor is a 1988 15HP. Thanks again....

Docdoc

Petty Officer 2nd Class

If your linkage is out of adjustment, there is no way you can make it work by adjusting the cables. Always adjust the linkage first.

I have a 125 hp with the same problem and the marina said I needed a new shift cable and it was 120.00 but after I got to looking the rod that goes down to the lower unit with the cotter pin is threaded into the clutch dog and it is supposed to be adjusted so the dog is in the middle of the forward and reverse if this gets adjusted to far one way or the other one of your gears won't work or it will grind.<br />The best way is to take the lower unit off and have it adjusted as the whole gear assembly would have to come apart to do it the right way<br />or you can try turning a couple turns and try forward but I would not turn it more than about 10 or 12 turns cause if you unthread it you will be taking it to a dealer.<br /><br />mine only cost about 75.00 to get it set but I still had to readjust it about 5 turns to get it to shift right.