Lower Unit Drain Plug Question 85HP Force

fishthebay

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Hello All-<br /><br />I bought a lower unit on e-bay for my 1987 85HP Force outboard. Next to the 3 holes on each side where the lower unit bolts go through to hold the lower unit have 3 drain plugs next to them.<br /><br />This is used for water to ecaspe during running the motor. I have these on my old lower as well.<br /><br />On the new lower unit the 3 drain holes have screws in them. <br /><br />The only thing I can tell from looking at the screws is that they block the holes.<br /><br />My question is - Should I remove the 3 screws in that act as plugs?<br /><br />My old unit has the same hole pattern, but no screws in them.<br /><br />When running on the muffs I do see water draining from these holes on my old lower unit.<br /><br />Any suggestions would be appreciated.<br /><br />Thanks...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Re: Lower Unit Drain Plug Question 85HP Force

Those holes should be open, to ensure that all the water drains from the leg, to prevent cracking in freezing temps.<br /><br />Did the guy just screw in some sheet metal screws?

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Roscoe , I've got a problem with a drain hole on my Chrysler 55 LU. The rear hole is plugged. I tried putting solvent in the LU overnight. I even tried to open it up with a hand drill. Nothing seemed to work . I think I'll just have to remove LU for winter from now on.

eurolarva

Rear Admiral

Hey scotiany. Did you try using an easy out. Not sure how big the screw is but I have had good luck with them.

scotiany

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Hey eurolarva, no, there's no screw in the hole , just hardened crap. It looks like it drains the water from the exhaust after the eng. is lifted out of the water. I can see why it would get carboned up. I figure it'll be OK 'till winter. BTW , went to autozone today and got 3 ft of 1/4 fuel hose (pump to carb) @97/ft. I don't want to use auto clamps though-gotta get marine type clamps.