Force Trim/Tilt fluid

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer
Just as I was supposed to, I did a search on the subject, but came up with many different answers. So now, I need to find out which answer is correct.<br /><br />I have two engines, an '89 Force 125 and an '88 Force 125. (basically the same engines)<br /><br />What is the proper tilt/trim fluid? I've heard 10w-30, ATF, 20W, and the Clymer manual gives me a part number for Quicksilver Power Trim and Steering Fluid.<br /><br />Which of these fluids can I use? Which one SHOULD I use? Which ones should I avoid?<br /><br />The fluid in there now is red, which rules out the 10w-30 and 20W, so it could be ATF, but I've never seen the Quicksilver stuff, so it could be that also. I know most power steering fluid is red.

graddy

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: Force Trim/Tilt fluid

The Mercury power trim and steering fluid will be fine. Not sure what color it is. I would completly drain the system and fill with new fluid.

SlowlySinking

Master Chief Petty Officer

Great timing, I just replaced an 85 Force T&T pump&motor unit with a 1990 Force T&T pump/motor unit, I therefore assume that the 85 engine manual recommendation of 30WT non-detergent motor oil is out the window and power steering fluid is the way to go??? The little bit of lube in the 90 unit isn't red and doesn't look like motor oil. :confused:

ODDD1

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Dont get too concerned about this......I have seen ATF, 10W30, 10w, hydraulic oil, and mercs own trim fluid used interchagably.....now, I am not saying this is right...but these systems are really not that picky...in the Chrysler days, a prestolite trim used 10w30....later, SAME system with force paint on it used ATF....all mercs [last 20 years] factory filled with ATF, yet replacement fluid is merc's power trim fluid, which is clear....what do I use? hard to beat the price on ATF...

DanMcK

Seaman

wilkin250r: according to the manual the correct fluid is non-detergent SAE 30 engine oil. That is what I used in my 89 force 125hp. Good luck.

bret walters

Seaman

mercurys power trim and tilt fluid is completely compatible with atf. if the unit is old style prestolite trim unit use 10-30. :p

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

The unit is a prestolite, but it's not filled with 10-30. Is that going to be a major problem?

cloumar

Petty Officer 1st Class

wilkin250r,<br /><br />If I was you - I will go with ATF > reason is ATF is hydraulic base fluid and this is what you need in that system, lubricity comes in second in this issue. I have the genuine shop book for my Force 1998 and they recomand ATF.<br /><br />Smoky ;)

DanMcK

Seaman

smokyforce: the engine is 1989 not 1998. the specification is Non detergent SAE 30 engine oil.