1985 Force 125 Hp firing order

Newb

Cadet
Hi, I am new to the board and I have a question for the Force experts. I have an '85 125Hp Force that origionally came on a Bayliner center steer boat. I recently put the motor, controls, etc. on a 19' Starcraft american ski boat after competely rebuilding the motor. My question is about the firing order. I don't know much about the Force engines, and even though I marked everything well before tearing down the engine, my marks became illegible after the rebuild and I am not sure which coils went to what cylinders now and what the firing order is for this motor. Also, do the cylinders go from top to bottom or bottom to top in regards to firing order? I know this may sound like stupid questions, but my expertise is in street rods not boats. This was a very good running motor before it spun a bearing and shot all the needles out, so I know that it is capable of running. So far, all I've got it to do is backfire except for one time that it fired up for about 5 seconds but nearly shook itself off the back of the boat. One other concern I have is that since the rebuild, the motor cranks over very slow. I've taken the starter apart and cleaned and greased it several times now and tried several different batteries, but I can't seem to get it to crank over very fast at all. I am hoping that this is due to the timing since I can take 2 or 3 of the 4 plugs out and it spins over great. If anyone could shed some light on this problem I would greatly appreciate it. I rebuilt the motor over the winter to have it ready for summer boating and now the summer is slipping by pretty fast and I haven't hit the water once!!! I hope someone has an idea where I'm going wrong. Thanks everyone!!!

pgattuso

Cadet
Re: 1985 Force 125 Hp firing order

the firing order is in order of the coils top is 1 ,2nd is 2 etc. remove all plugs and turn by hand if tight alignment of main shaft , bearings or cyl. good luck

Newb

Cadet
Re: 1985 Force 125 Hp firing order

Thanks, I'll try wiring things up that way and hopefully it'll be up and running again!!<br />
smile.gif