Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
Welcome Guest - Sign Up today
  • Dear Community Members,

Over the last two years, there have been updates to the environment that have introduced challenges in usability, performance, and security. Efforts to improve the technology, user interface and site performance have revealed weaknesses in the platform and outdated software our site uses. This has made it increasingly difficult and frustrating to support and upgrade to more modern reliable standards that users deserve. This is not the experience we want for the members of this community.

Members want a fast site that performs well across all devices, to be able to find relevant and interesting content, and easily share through text, images, video, and messaging on a secure platform. Our goal is to provide this user experience to all members. We will be updating to a new platform to better meet the needs of this community and allow us to provide support more efficiently. Our focus is to create a sustainable platform that performs well and loads faster on all devices while offering seamless ways to search and connect. Technology is constantly innovating - by creating an environment that we control we can maintain the site with more frequent improvements and maintenance updates.

Although change can be difficult, we are here to support you through the process. We make every effort to review existing settings and make the changes needed so the migration goes smoothly. If you notice something doesn’t seem correct once the site goes live, don’t panic! We’ll have a dedicated person monitoring as the site goes live to answer any questions and provide support through this change. What’s next?

When will this be happening? The plan is to put our current forums into maintenance mode (off line) at around 9am MST on 9/30/2020! The whole transition should take 24-36 hours. We recognize the user experience is slow and there are bugs from the outdated software. The sooner we can change that the better we can make the experience for you. You’ll start to see activity related to cleanup in preparation for migration very shortly. We will post an announcement to the community prior to starting the actual data migration.

We appreciate each member’s contribution to this community and look forward to an improved experience for you all.

- Management

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

85hp Force - 1989 - WOT Bogging

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They make Liquid Electric Tape.
    That along with shrink tube can block some of the JUMPING spark.

Buy American made Cars and Trucks!!!Towing insurance for a boat,a GREAT thing.
    ​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

In Scenic , Beautiful San Sebastian by the sea Florida

88 Bayliner 21CC 2001 Mercury 225 HP EFI

PLEASE,NO PERSONAL MESSAGES IF THE QUESTION CAN BE ASKED ON THE OPEN FORUM I WON'T ANSWER AS MY SYSTEM CAN'T REPLY TO YOUR EMAILS

Comment

double post
      Last edited by SAV Bluegrass; September 15th, 2020, 03:09 PM. Reason: double post

Comment

Pulled apart the carburetors one more time and found a small piece of plastic in the inline which I removed. That made a big difference!

Now middle #2 Carb keeps flooding - fuel pouring out of overflow.

Maybe Float adjustment needed? Needle Rebuild?

Tried adjusting the float height a bit without much luck. Can't seem to get it dialed in correctly with the idle and low speeds + #2 carb. flooding is a major issue.

Doh! - out the frying pan & into the fire..

As far as Idle Mixture screws go - they don't stay put unless are seated all the way in but I agree, manual says start at 1 turn out.

Comment

Do they have the little springs on them? Plus you might have some of that trash holding the float valve open as well.
          It sounds lie the inner liner of the fuel line has come loose, which is common.
          Perhaps new fuel lines when you get it running.
          Pull the carbs and clean them thoroughly. While you have that #2 off if you can blow through the fuel inlet with the carb held upside down the valve is not closing. Perhaps the rubber has a crack in it or some other damage.
          Check each carb the same way. Also blow out all of the passages with compressed air.

Comment

They didn't have the little springs on them! Received a new rebuild kit but I believe the mixture screw is incorrect ( too large ). Did include the springs which may fit. Sounds like this all checks out with the current issues. Thanks a million to everyone, what a great support site!

Comment

Originally posted by SAV Bluegrass View Post
              They didn't have the little springs on them! Received a new rebuild kit but I believe the mixture screw is incorrect ( too large ). Did include the springs which may fit. Sounds like this all checks out with the current issues. Thanks a million to everyone, what a great support site!
              Why too large? too far sticking out? that's normal
              Do NOT have them screwed in more than; ONE FULL turn out from seated
              "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by SAV Bluegrass View Post
                Pulled apart the carburetors one more time and found a small piece of plastic in the inline which I removed. That made a big difference!
                Install a $6 fuel filter BETWEEN the pump & the Carbs.
                "Success is walking from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Comment

The air screw shouldn't have the springs if the
                  screw is located on the top of the carb.
                  If located on the side? then it should have the
                  springs.
                  The 90hp came with the screws on the side, the 85s
                  all I remember had the top screw.
                  My memory might be wrong??

​Tools to make my life easier: Battery tester, die grinder, temp.gun, compression tester, DVA meter.

PLEASE,NO PERSONAL MESSAGES IF THE QUESTION CAN BE ASKED ON THE OPEN FORUM I WON'T ANSWER AS MY SYSTEM CAN'T REPLY TO YOUR EMAILS

Comment

Engine # 856X9G
                    Here's what im up against - not sure what is correct. There's conflicting imagery against my type of carb. the parts diagram for this one shows no idle mix screw on side, and replaces my top face air mix screw with a spring & jet. All 3 carbs are the same. ( just lost top carb. air mix screw ( vibrated out when unseated )

Parts diagram website
                    https://www.*****************/parts/f...f9c/carburetor

Comment

This is more accurate to the type of carb. I have - still has idle mix as a jet, not just screw. This diagram appears to include the side idle mix screw

https://www.crowleymarine.com/mercur...ts/1214_30.cfm

Comment

Found my exact carburetor - appears to be a 1991 - 94' 90hp carburetor instead
                        The previous owner must have put it on as a replacement?

https://www.southcentraloutboards.co...hp-s0458145558

Comment

Removed and blew out all the carbs with an air compressor, runs great, WOT seems a bit low. Anyone know the proper float height for a 90-94 Force 90hp carb? I set it to level for now cause I only have the 85hp service manual.

Comment

Level for the float.
                            The drop is more important, it should almost
                            touch the post as it drops.

I was wrong about the spring on the 85 carb.
                            The spring is there you just cant see it inside the carb.

Your right you do have a much newer carb.

The WOT changing the carbs: some of the cams change
                            from motor to motor and don't open the carb/throttle all
                            the way??

Also the prop and load in the boat can affect the WOT.

Comment

Originally posted by jerryjerry05 View Post
                              Level for the float.
                              The drop is more important, it should almost
                              touch the post as it drops.

The WOT changing the carbs: some of the cams change
                              from motor to motor and don't open the carb/throttle all
                              the way??

Also the prop and load in the boat can affect the WOT.
                              - Tried figuring what you mean by the float drop being more important. Honestly not sure, my inexperience

My Procedure is:

I've set the float level, then then slightly above level. I haven't yet noticed the trained eye's difference but speed tops out for both setting at just 17mph, just myself, boat mostly stripped & empty. All Idle screws 1 turn out.

Enriching all 1 1/8th out produces 20mph. I've seen it get near 30mph before
                              Maybe lack of fuel some how? My cheap inline fuel filters never get full...stay 8th full or nearly empty, usually pulling just what engine uses.

Could a very minute air leak cause lack of good fuel pressure, causing the issue of not enough power at WOT?
                              Are all idle screws to be tuned simultaneously? I've read such conflicting narration.

My Prop. is trashed, corners chipped, very haggard. Could that make 10mph+ difference?

( this forums best hands down best on the net, cheers )

Comment

Have you replaced the fuel-pump guts yet?

Comment

Working...
                                X