If I wanted to sell my '98 Force 90HP -- what is the market like out there?

dahlbergdriver

Seaman Apprentice
Long story short - I bought a Bayliner with a 90HP Force '98. The engine runs great except the idle is kind of finicky and every time I take this out, I just don't have confidence in this motor -- or maybe better put, I don't have confidence (or the time) in myself to get this motor up to 100%. I've tried to reach out to marinas and independent shops around me, and the answer is always, "we don't work on Force motors." So the plan is to get something a bit more recent (probably a 4-stroke) that there are ample parts out there for, and people actually work on.

All that said -- what should my expectation be if I wanted to sell this as far as demand, price, etc.? I'm assuming these aren't very easy to get rid of. I am in the Madison area of WI.

I appreciate everyone's input here.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Even for a poorly running Force motor, price will be heavily dependant on local market.

Based on your local shop's replies, not as much as you'd hope.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
At most in madtown, expect about $200 for an old Force. the issue is if you know where to look you can get outboards in WI really cheap.......

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
There are fewer and fewer of the older outboards available on the market. That, and the high cost of getting a new motor, are driving the prices up on these.

There are always people on a budget that can't drop $4 -9,000 on a motor.

Betting you could get $1000-$1500 if you can demonstrate it is functional and has good compression.

Scott - Tell me where these cheap Wisconsin motors are.
Looking for two 4 strokes, a 75-90, and a 125.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
never looked for 4-strokes. always bought 2-strokes. drive around the north woods and stop at the garage sales. go to estate sales. buddy bought a 14' fishing boat on a trailer, 6hp johnson, 55# trolling motor and 30 rods and 6 boxes of tackle for $600 from an estate sale because no-one showed up

the good deals are not advertised on FB or Ebay. some of them are on AM radio.....yes AM radio (because most people of the age to sell off stuff cheaply are still listening to AM). for example Air Exchange on WCUB. My mother always has it on, and I listen in the background. picked up many good deals on it.

the last motor bought was a 20hp merc for $100. bought that off Fond du Lac CL, guy said it last ran 5 years ago and they broke the recoil rope. since everyone wants 4-strokes, no-one even contacted him. told him if he could get it running, I would pay him the $200 he was asking otherwise I would take it as a gamble sight-unseen at $100. So he dropped it off at my bud's house in Appleton until I could get it.

you will pay more for a 4-stroke simply because people want them.

I know where there are two old Chrysler outboards in door county that would be in the $50 range since you cant get ignition parts for them

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
There's 4-5 Force for sale in my area. Florida.
They run from 500 to 1500.

The 90 running is worth 500 to 800 but running poorly???
The value drops.

If you look around, I'm sure there's a shade tree mechanic that
can fix your motor. Advertise on Craigslist or Facebook.
There's a bunch of sites on FB now.

Start another thread and give the details on your motor and maybe
we can help fix the problem.

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
It is hard to find anyone who can fix much of anything without just swapping parts until it runs or you run out of money.
Professional means he charges for the work, not that he is good at it.

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
You really should post some pics and whats going on. There have been things that you wouldn't even think of that the guys on the forum know about. The chryslers are straight forward but real tricky to find parts at reasonable prices.