Force 125 hp 1989 no water coming out the rear two vents at Higher speeds

fishbait2

Cadet
I have a 1989 Force 125 hp dual exhaust and at idle and low speeds there is A lot of water coming out of the two pee holes
on the back of the motor. At higher speeds it stops. The impeller has been replaced. The gear case is not original , the original was a single exhaust. I believe the shop used the impeller pump set up off the original single exhaust gear case for the replacement dual exhaust gear case but put a new impeller when installed on the dual exhaust gear case. Is it normal for the water to stop at higher speeds on this model gear case?

The Force power

Commander
I have a 1989 Force 125 hp dual exhaust Is it normal for the water to stop at higher speeds on this model gear case?

Yes, as the lower leg drags through the water it create a vacuum and draws the exhaust through the prop, the same as for a single exhaust but then only through the Snout

(and it's not just water but exhaust fumes also)

fishbait2

Cadet
So the two vents on the back of the motor only shoot out water while going slow? Then stops during fast operation? I have been thinking about putting a tell tail (pee hole) on the motor to show water is pumping through the motor. But I see post to be cautious
as it must be very small to keep the pressure up for water circulation.

The Force power

Commander
There should be a plug on the top of the head that can be removed and a elbow hose fitting installed for a tell tail

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
The 2 holes you're talking about are idle exhaust relief ports and function just as you describe because of exhaust back pressure of the water. The back pressure reduced as the boat speeds up, which MTFBWY described well in the 2nd post.