Chrysler 105 distributor cap replacement

Zartav

Cadet
I don't know if this is the best place to ask, but I'm wondering if there is any sort of distributor cap that'll fit this engine, that isn't the OEM. The originals I find all cost $200-$400 on eBay, and are used.

Is there a modern replacement for just the cap?

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
It's too bad you didn't get any replies. I think this is a very important question. Seems like one of the most difficult and pricey parts for Chrysler outboards. Without it the engine is a boat anchor. I would like to keep my motor running for a while. In the old days a distributor cap was a maintenance item. If I find anything I'll reply again to this message.

MrMarty51

Seaman
I went looking to see what the distributor for these engines looked like. In ebay there is a four cylinder dist. Cap, looks new for 100 bucks. Some other components in there too.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Look for complete motors.
The midwest has a bunch of salvage yards with
millions of Chryslers just hanging around.
Google: Marine salvage, outboard salvage, antique outboard etc.

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sometimes there are parts from other motors that fit chrysler motors. Does anyone know if there is a new distributor cap from another motor that will fit the chrylser 4 cylinder motors?

Seems like anything with the Chrysler name on it is 100 times the price even if they are used stuff. For example it seems like many people switch to an auto coil/condenser and ditch the Magnapower unit because a used one is $200-$300. Probably the main reason any of us has a Chrysler outboard is because they are cheap to buy. But then we get hammered when ever we need to buy parts. I think a lot of us would just go buy a Mercury that has great parts availability and good prices compared to paying more for a part than we did for the whole motor. Most just say run it till it dies and buy a mercury/yamaha/etc next time. I have decided to have a kicker motor so when the chrysler dies I'm not stuck out in the middle of the lake needing to be towed in. Some have run these motors for years with only basic maintenance. Hmmm, I wonder what a scrap yard will give me for 250 lbs of scrap metal. That's what my motor weighs.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Hmmm, I wonder what a scrap yard will give me for 250 lbs of scrap metal. That's what my motor weighs.

not much, its less than the required 1 ton minimum for mixed metals. if you broke it down to an aluminum pile and an iron pile and steel pile, you may get $15

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes you are likely right about the scrap idea. Seems like the best thing is to run it as long as it will last. The good thing is there aren't as many things that can go wrong since it is a simple design. I am very intrigued by the idea that a newer lower unit can fit the older power heads. That is a big deal for making these motors live longer.

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
I did find the center piece for the distributor on ebay for $5.00 part number F14012-1. I bought 2. I would have bought more if they had them. I just see that little thing falling into the gravel or water never to be found again and then your done because of a $5.00 part. That the scary part about these motors. Buy what ever cheap parts you can find. I have found prop nuts, prop rods, gaskets and other little things on ebay. You just have to know what you are looking for. Actually there is a Mercury distributor that looks exactly like the chrysler. If I can buy one cheap enough I will just to find out or maybe it can be easily adapted or maybe there are parts that can be swapped.