1988 Force 50

J-Dee

Recruit
Hey Guy's , I'm Jay,new to this forum.
was wondering if I could get some help.
I have a 1988 C Force 50 outboard. I'm not getting spark. Have 2 new cdi coils and cdi stator. I'm not sure if the wires are even wired right . Does it matter how the stator gets installed ? Maybe the trigger is suspect. Any and all input would be greatly appreciated.

Nordin

Commander
Have to have some clarifys. When you say CDI coil and CDI stator, is it from the manufactor CDI Electronics?
CDI also means C- capacitive D- discharge I- ignition.

Usually when no spark at any plug the stator or the CDI module is suspected.
If spark at some plug and no spark at one plug the stator should be okey cause the stator serves all CDI modules and plugs. Then the trigger would be suspected. Ignition coils fails but not so often from my experience.
Outboardignitiondotcom has troubleshoot chart for you system.
You can check the system with a VOM without a DVA adapter but a DVA adapter gives you a better measurement values.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
A stator can test good and still be bad.
You sure the flywheel key didn't shift??

Stator usually fits just one way, any other way
the wires end up too short?

J-Dee

Recruit
Hey what's up guys. Yes cdi electronics is the brand of the coil and stator.
ok update , I was rewiring the coils stator and trigger this morning. I now have spark on my #1 coil / plug.
Cdi electronics says to swap the red and green wire for coil 2 .
Well I'm closer then I was yesterday 😂

J-Dee

Recruit
Ok guys the update, I was fooling with thewthe ( trigger) and 'BAM' got shocked. I now have spark on 1&2 coils / plugs. However it's not kicking over 🤦🤷 . Any suggestions ?

mysteryboy28

Cadet
Pick up a timing light, and make sure your timing is correct. On the flywheel are 3 lines next to each other (28, 30, 32 degrees). You want the middle one to line up on the marker when the timing light blinks while connected to the top cylinder wire. Many how-to videos on YouTube. Once you know you have correct timing, move on to getting proper fuel/air. Have you checked compression yet? You want around 150 PSI, but 110 will work. A difference of more than 10 percent between cylinders could cause problems. Post your results!

mysteryboy28

Cadet
While checking timing you want to have 50-1 fuel/oil pumping (to keep the cylinders lubricated), with the spark plugs removed and plug wires grounded to the motor. Again, watch the tutorials. Skipping a step could be very bad for the motor.

The Force power

Commander
When doing a "static" timing; you have the throttle at WOT (you will have to bypass the neutral-switch or jump the starter)
Make sure you are working with a "tested good" Starter & fully charged battery(weak starter and/or battery will not produce enough RPM on the flywheel to produce spark)

Adjust the timing to 28 degrees ! (it will fire at 30 degrees at 5000 + RPM's (too early of ignition causes (over) detonation)

Inspect/clean/replace the fuel-pump/hoses/tank-vent/Carburetors

Get a compression & spark tester (spark will have to jump at least 3/8")

Last edited: