1975 Chrysler 45hp

dadgeff

Cadet
Hey y'all, back again. Due to my own failure to check everything, after 5 minutes on the water, my engine overheated and melted one of the spark plug leads to the side of the engine and melted the water tube between the thermostat and the exhaust manifold

I believe this was caused by the thermostat not functioning because I checked the water pump and impeller. In the course of removing the thermostat cover I snapped one of the screws and had to order a replacement cover.

If anyone can advise please regarding whether or not to apply gasket sealer when i install the new head cover? I read some saying yes and some saying no!

Thank y'all for all the advise y'all have given.

dadgeff

Cadet
Thank you again. I just watch a video on YouTube and the guy whines about chrysler motors having a starter but no alternator. Is it possible to add one or would that be stupid?

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
I briefly thought about the possibility of a lawn tractor alternator, but there's not much room for anything else under the cover...

We had ours out at the lake for three days, in the water twice a day , fishing a bit , starting/stopping and the battery was still above 12v at the end. I brought the charger, but didn't use it.

This is with a cheap princess auto (harbor freight) deep cycle. It would also depend on how quick she starts up... :)

dadgeff

Cadet
That's clear, I've got a normal marine battery for the engine and 2 Interstate Deep Cycle batteries for the trolling motor.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
EVERY Chrysler that I have seen that has a battery for starting has
a charging system for the battery used to start it.

The charging system is made for a regular starting battery.
The deep cycle battery can hurt it.
Not made for Deep Cycle charging. It will do it but will eventually hurt it.

Nordin

Commander
The 35Hp up until 1975 and the 45Hp and 55Hp with magneto ignition did not have any charging system.
The ignition coils took the space under the flywheel.

dadgeff

Cadet
I don't believe the deep cycle batteries are connected to the motor, that I'm aware of.

Jeffe74

Seaman Apprentice
I shouldn't have said deep cycle, mine is a marine battery. Definitely no changing system on my 55.