Fuel hose and fittings.

arriva2001

Seaman
Hi
im looking to install a seachoice water separating fuel filter on my boat (to feed my Force 150). The fuel line coming from the tank has a 3/8 inner diameter. So I bought a brass barb fitting also with a 3/8” inner diameter.

I tried slipping the hose over it, and it’s near to impossible to fit it and when I do, the hose looks very stretched and as if it may fail early.

my questions are: should I be using a brass fitting with an outer diameter of 3/8 to fit the hose better? And if I did, wouldn’t that cause the fuel to be restricted? Is there any restriction here that could cause a lean issue? The filter supplies 25 gallons per hour so that seems sufficient.

if I’m supposed to use the 3/8 inter diameter fitting to match the inner diameter of the hose. Is there any concern that the hoses are being stretched too much or could fail?

Attachments

• photo333835.jpg
    photo333835.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 0

alldodge

Staff member
Use which ever fitting will fit the 3/8 ID fuel line. The amount of restriction will be a non-issue for your motor. I'm running 500+HP motor on 3/8 line and have no issue

arriva2001

Seaman
Thank you for your response! So the next size down is 5/16” ID. And I’m thinking that will make all the difference as far as fitting goes. I’m just not sure how all of these pieces are intended to fit together. The instructions are lacking details. I had assumed just matching ID numbers is the way to go when I bought those hose barb fittings. But maybe it’s not so simple? Maybe 5/16” to 3/8” hose is how it’s intended to work?

arriva2001

Seaman
thank you everyone for the responses. It sounds like there are basically two responses/options. Use the 3/8" fittings or swap them out for fittings that are smaller and easier to connect to the fuel line. I think what I'm going to do is buy the smaller ones 5/16" and try those compared to the 3/8" ones. I already own the 3/8" ones so it will be pretty inexpensive to buy a couple more. I have a heat gun and could use dish soap/water to force the 3/8" ones to fit if that is how it's supposed to work. and I have hose clamps to tighten down the 5/16" ones if those fit better.

Regardless...I'll keep a close eye on things to make sure there aren't any leaks. I think adding the water separator will be a good addition to the fuel system to protect the ol' 150.

Thanks all for the responses!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
YES!!! add the filter.
Then add another between the first pump and the carbs.
Fram G2 G3 G12 one of these works great for getting the tiny bits that sneak in, out.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
thank you everyone for the responses. It sounds like there are basically two responses/options. Use the 3/8" fittings or swap them out for fittings that are smaller and easier to connect to the fuel line.
Using a 5/16” fitting in a 3/8” hose isn’t an option...

Last edited:

arriva2001

Seaman
Guys, I am an idiot. Turns out I bought a 1/2” fitting. That was the whole problem. Of course I was over complicating things. I don’t know if the part was in the wrong bin at ace hardware or if I just grabbed the wrong one. But I looked at the receipt and realized my mistake. Now I got two 3/8 To 3/8 and it fits like a snug glove.

and I also have a second filter before the carbs. It’s a little quicksilver one I replace every year. But it doesn’t do anything about filtering out water, so that’s why I thought this would be a good add.

thanks again for your help. Happy boating!!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The water sep is a good move.
After a few trips, pull it and see how much water's in the filter.

I like the Fram filters as they are clear.