Mercur/Force props pre-exhaust through hubs (pre-89)

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all,
I've got an 87 Force 85 in just my second year with it, and need to replace the prop it came with. I've got the original the guy threw in, and neither have a part # that make any sense in searches I am doing. I find few options with a part # I don't find anywhere on mine, its # 072108. I dont' want to order an incorrect prop. There are many, many outlets to buy the ones with the later (apparently '89-) through exhaust type center. Can they really not be used on a non-through exhaust type? Is there any history of trying this? Thanks in advance to the Force-rs out there!!

Happy Cruising, Finger Laker

The Force power

Commander
There are some on Ebay that are for single exhaust, you can however use the thru-hub propellers with the right spacer and by removing the anode (not really needed in fresh water)

have you checked the Shop in IBoats?
also type in the search-bar "Force prop" and a lot of info will appear

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
OK, thanks, May the Force, was hoping to hear from you. I know, there is so much that comes up with 95% being through-props. Is the spacer required to use the through type the one that you all were showing the fellow recently with too much play in his prop shaft? I'll also check the iboats store, havent used that, I am all ebay for most things not boating-related, so was using that mostly for searches.
Thanks again!

The Force power

Commander
Yes, that would be the one but there are aftermarket ones out-there as well
Now that I'm thinking about it.....you may not need to remove the anode??

Depending on the boat you"should" stick to a 15 pitch to 17 pitch unless you're running a 15 foot something; you may get away with a 19 P (final testing on water with tach. required) lol

I meant in the search-bar on Iboats in advice

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks, MTF, naa, its a 17' Bayliner Capri, so it calls for the 19 P in the 13 inch and I don' t plan on playing around with it. Its certainly performing fine, since I am using that size currently but want to replace a pretty dinged blade. And, If the anode can stay in, its just as well, as it IS possible we may eventually stray with the boat down to our work home on the Chesapeake with partly salty water... might be in our future. Thanks again!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Your motor can use either of the props.
The anode doesn't need to be removed.
Anodes are designed for using in salt water on an extended basis.
Just dunking it once in a while wont hurt or do anything.

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks so much, all for this, this is very helpful- I don't have an anode to remove on the original prop, but will try to get a through prop type, then, that has the anode in the kit, possibly. Even if it isn't required as a spacer (that's what I'm hearing...) I'll go ahead and put it in and that way it'll be ready for when we eventually head to the mid-Chesapeake sometime (and I wont forget). And thanks, Roscoe for the link, I'll assume if I can't find a prop with the anode I can use the link to poke around and find the anode as a separate part. Thanks again all, happy summer! Best, Finger Laker

The Force power

Commander
The anode is not attached nor part of the prop. you will need the space on the thru-hub prop

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The zinc is attached to the bearing carrier.
Found this one on Ebay 303539066613

It's connected with stainless screws.

ANTI-CORROSION ANODE *{W/LITERATURE}*
FA523485

th

FingerLaker

Seaman Apprentice
Hey, belated thanks, Jerry, just getting back to this, been just enjoying tooling around here... But the prop does need to be replaced, so I am back on it. Its still posted so I've got a lock on it now, so thanks again! FL-ER

WinnerCougar74

Petty Officer 1st Class
This is a great thread. So will the "through the hub exhaust" props fit the 18 spline chrysler motors? I have a 1974 135hp.