1995 Tracker Pro Jet 18 with 90hp mercury

Northface93

Cadet
1995 tracker pro jet 18 help?

Sorry if in wrong section. I have a 95 tracker pro jet 18 aluminum boat with a 90hp motor. I barely know anything about how it works, let alone what its made of lol.

My problem, 2009 was the last time we took the boat out. Never had an issue, just quit going out. Now, it cranks good, i have no spark. I did get shocked by the #1 coil the first time i cranked it. Then lost everything. Stator seems to be solid ground on every wire. Only wire that seems to have power is the oil injection reservoir. Fuses are good, safety switch seems to be working.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Hello Northface93 and :welcome:

Yes, this is in the wrong section, but in order to put it on the right section, I need to know the make of the engine, Mercury, johnson, evinrude, force, etc. ('95 tracker pro jet 18' tells us nothing about the engine.)

Chris.......
iboats mod team.

achris

The sticker is almost gone on the engine but it says mercury marine division

Could be Mariner, Mercury or Force. Take a photo of the engine, upload the photo to a hosting site, then post the link here.
Or post the engine serial number.

Chris.....

achris

No mate, that's not your engine, that's a photo from 10 years ago. Photo, with it's clothes on, of YOUR engine.

achris

Ok, that's a Mercury Jet (the power-head is actually a Force 90hp outboard engine, with a jet drive instead of a gearbox and propeller). I'll move you to the Force forum.... (Look like it's been transplanted from a jetski)

Chris.....

Last edited:

Northface93

Cadet
Ok thank you. And just for the record, this was purchased brand new from tracker in 95 with this setup. Apparently made a 90hp and 2 more sizes after that.

achris

Ok thank you. And just for the record, this was purchased brand new from tracker in 95 with this setup. Apparently made a 90hp and 2 more sizes after that.

Ah, ok. Just looks a bit 'home-built' from the photos.

Northface93

Cadet
Its seems as though i may have a bad ignition switch. I have removed all panels and traced everybit of wiring. When checking voltage, almost anything with ground has 0.10 - 0.50 volts with key on or off. Touching my aluminum lids on the deck, i am showing voltage lol. Surely this cant be normal?

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
After you make sure the harness is OK??
Then outboard ignition dot com has test procedures for your motor.
They made a 90/95/120/240 and lots of variations.
The 95 90 used Mercury Ignition.
REALLY helps if you have a serial#/ Model# to look up your motor???

Northface93

Cadet
i finally got serial/model number off the top of the engine. The sticker is in poor condition but i removed the dried glue and got the numbers. I found the test procedures. My problem right now, I have solid ground on everything except the blue stator wire. The blue wire has no voltage or ground, cranking or not. The only thing on the engine that has power is the oil injection reservoir. Im really starting to believe i have a bad ignition switch. I tested the kill switch and wires, and a few others and they ohmd fine. I have 12v going to the ignition switch, 12v coming out only on 1 wire. Fuses are good, repaired a few wires. Cigarette lighter doesn't work with key on or off. Going to order an ignition switch since its only $20. Thanks guys. Ill post an update on what i find out.

Northface93

Cadet
1995 tracker, jet drive. Engine number OE110,xxx. Found outboardignition.com the test procedures for ignition components expect ignition switch. Engine only has power on oil injection reservoir level sensor. Everything else is ground with key on or off. Cranks good, just doesn't have any spark. Boat has set for over 8 years untouched in my barn, running when parked (not a craigslist add.) The first time i originally tried starting the boat this summer in the water, I cranked it for a second, throwed a spark tester on it and got shocked twice by the coils. Cranked it some more until i knew i had gas, but never obtained spark. I have followed the procedures on outboardignition.com and i cant confirm anything because im not getting power in places with power. NOW, FOR MY BIGGEST CLUE, anywhere i touch the boat with a volt meter, the aluminum boat itself is showing 0.10v - 0.84v which is obviously a short somewhere? Also noticed tachometer jumps around and is not accurate with just key on. when cranking, it taps out LOL. Sorry for the long post, already had a post on this but it was redirected. Below is the link to the photo "achris" had me upload of the engine.

https://imgur.com/a/c29IRxN

Here is the quote from "achris"

Ok, that's a Mercury Jet (the power-head is actually a Force 90hp outboard engine, with a jet drive instead of a gearbox and propeller). I'll move you to the Force forum.... (Look like it's been transplanted from a jetski)

Chris.....

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
If you have an induction timing light check and see if it flashes on each cylinder.
If it does then the timing may be off.
Check with a screwdriver in the spark plug hole for tdc. on #1. Be careful and it's easier to turn the flywheel with the plugs out.
Make sure TDC on the flywheel matches with the tdc you find with the screwdriver.
If not then a common problem is a sheared flywheel Woodruff key.
If you get a flash on each cylinder then it must be a problem with either fuel delivery or compression, so while the plugs are out run a compression check just to make sure.
Also make sure that the dead man switch is not turned off...

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes the coil goes bad and causes a no spark situation.
Unhook it and see if that helps?????

Redbarron%%

Chief Petty Officer
The 95 Sport Jet has three coils and the three pulse trigger coil along with the other coils under the flywheel. one of the coils could be bad, but one time I troubleshot for an hour or so before I remembered that I had pulled the deadman lanyard and the switch was keeping the ignition spark from happening.
Of course this is the same basic engine as the force outboard 90 hp so the troubleshooting is the same.
A spark tester is handy but with the plugs installed or the ignition leads grounded and an induction timing light you can get an idea about what is happening with the spark.
This engine has a box like the outboard that could be bad as well and three separate coils, one for each cylinder.
This is the place to get information on this engine as there are many who know a lot more than I do about it.
I do have a Hobie-Jet power skiff with the Sport jet and have gone through a lot of the advice here and it is pretty good, especially Jerry-Jerry who has a wealth of knowledge.
I doubt that you have a primary electrical problem with the boat as checking with a meter the question would be a voltage compared to what?
If you are looking at the negative post of the battery to various spots on the boat you could see various galvanic results.
A short would go away if you removed the positive lead from the battery. The aluminum hull is the negative conductor to the rest of the boat, probably and would be an indication of poor ground return to the battery rather than a short circuit.
I have never seen a Tracker jet boat, but I can see where it might be nice in some shallower rivers. The problem might be the sucking up of gravel and sand and wear on the wear ring and impeller and clogging with weeds.
If wear on the wear ring is an issue it can be built back up with JB weld pretty easily.
Good luck with getting your boat going and keep us up to date.