1997 75 HP Force installed Boyesen Reeds

Jerkbait41

Banned
Hello everyone,

I finally found the problem I’ve been trying to fix to no avail for some time. I pulled the intake manifold off and found two broke n reed petals. Ordered and installed Boyesen Power Reeds and the instructions say that the Boyesen Reeds require a carb adjustment. Instruction says “Carbs with Idle Air Jets controlling idle, downsize the jets. If the carb has Low-Speed Fuel Jets increase jet size. If your carb has Idle Mixture Screws turn counterclockwise .5-1 turn past stock setting. My carb drawing shows a Main Fuel Jet, a Throttle Jet, and a single Idle Mixture Screw. What do I adjust in this case? Also the idle rpm seems fast what do I adjust for idle speed? Thanks all!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
According to the parts diagram.
You have both!!
But only the high speed is changeable.
The throttle jets adjusted by the air screw.
No other jets available for the throttle jet. .044 is what your stuck with.

The air screw is the only thing you adjust.
So set it 1/2 turn out extra??

The idle is set running in the water and in gear not tied to a dock.750-800 rpms.

vickersfan

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. I wasn’t sure if the throttle jet could be drilled out a couple thousandths. Is the idle speed adjusted with the small jack screw that stops the throttle linkage at idle position. Also do you happen to know what the timing should be at WOT with a timing light?
Thanks again for your help.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The idle is controlled by the Towershaft Assy.
There's a slotted screw with a lock nut.
Back off the nut and screwing it in increases the idle.

There are 4-5 posts at the top of this forum, called "stickey's"
\They cover a LOT of things read them and I think the timing answer is there.
They cover a procedure called static timing, that will get the timing where you need it.

vickersfan

Cadet
So I’m trying the static cranking method for timing. One video showed a start neutral safety switch that needed to be jumped out. I don’t see that switch under the cowl. Would it be on the crack of the throttle controls? Is there another method like disconnecting the shift linkage?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
So I’m trying the static cranking method for timing. One video showed a start neutral safety switch that needed to be jumped out. I don’t see that switch under the cowl. Would it be on the crack of the throttle controls? Is there another method like disconnecting the shift linkage?

You are hijacking! Please start your own thread and look at the stickies.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Hello everyone,

I finally found the problem I’ve been trying to fix to no avail for some time. I pulled the intake manifold off and found two broke n reed petals. Ordered and installed Boyesen Power Reeds and the instructions say that the Boyesen Reeds require a carb adjustment. Instruction says “Carbs with Idle Air Jets controlling idle, downsize the jets. If the carb has Low-Speed Fuel Jets increase jet size. If your carb has Idle Mixture Screws turn counterclockwise .5-1 turn past stock setting. My carb drawing shows a Main Fuel Jet, a Throttle Jet, and a single Idle Mixture Screw. What do I adjust in this case? Also the idle rpm seems fast what do I adjust for idle speed? Thanks all!

How is this hijacking I started the posts.

Jerkbait41 started the thread, not you. Look at post #1, which is quoted above. Either it's hijacking or you posted in the wrong thread.