1984 Force 85HP Not Charging - Occasional starting issues

Pells

Recruit
i have a 1984 -- 85HP Force. I am new to boats so please help. The previous owner has disconnected a few wires. first off they connected the two blue wires from the stator together. Next the pairs of yellow and blue go back to the corresponding cdi units? there is 1 pair not connected to the cdi unit the wires are disconnected and taped off. The reason I started to look at this is because the battery is not charging. The stator and rectifier seem to check ok with an ohm meter as much as I could test by other threads I have looked at and in the manual. Any help appreciated. Thanks Chris

Pells

Recruit
Thanks for the help. So 1 question about the diagram you listed. Coming off module #3 it shows the orange wire going to the #3 coil and the red wire n/c. My wiring as of now is opposite with the orange wire n/c and the red wire going to the coil. Should I switch them and can I damage anything if I do. I am going to check for spark on all 3 coils before I do anything else.

Nordin

Commander
Pells .......each CDI module has two channels, they can handle two cylinders.
If you look close you see that trigger wires orange and green from the trigger are for the number 1 cylinder and the output wire to the coil for number 1 cylinder is the orange or blue/orange.
Red and white/green trigger wires are for cylinder 2 and the output is the red wire.
If you change the output wire from the CDI modul you have to check that the input trigger wires are connected to the right input for the CDI.

First check that the right trigger input is used at your engine as the red output is used for the number 3 cylinder.

BTW your number 2 CDI unit may have a bad input/output at number 1 channel soo the preowner or somebody else changed it over to number 2 output.