Coil test for 15HP?

oarless

Cadet
I want to test some coils I have for a 96 Gamefisher 15. The p/n for the coils is 850899T. Can anyone help with the specs for this? I think I've found the process for this but it sounds like I need to know what the ohm readings should be,

I don't think I've left anything out, but still might have.

Any help is appreciated.

R

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
outboardignitiondotcom or CDI ignition
Or try google u-tube.

You have spark on either coil?
Usually you don't loose spark on both?
No spark on both?
More info??

oarless

Cadet
Thanks, I'll check spark at the plugs tonight. It didn't seem like I was getting anything and was just going to check the coils first.

BTW, I just noticed we're nearly neighbors...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If the coils don't show signs of any cracks or high voltage leaking with dark spots, then read both primary and secondary sides of all the coils. If they are close to each other, I suspect they would be good. Any "way-out-of-range" from one reading to the other coil reading could be a problem. But check the spark first and go from there...

oarless

Cadet
I checked the spark, but I'm not convinced that it's strong enough. I was told that the magnets on some of these flywheels can go bad, but it's usually the ones that are affixed by adhesive or something, and not the ones that are cast in. Mine are cast in.

Apologies for needing the coaching, but when you say primary and secondary sides of the coil, what does that mean? So far my understanding is that by primary and secondary people are referring to two different wires. Here's a pic of the coil I'm working with, it only has the one wire and the plug cable (and thanks for any clarification);

Attachments

• photo326776.jpg
    photo326776.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Nordin

Commander
Do not know the spec. of these coils but will check in my factory manual, it is for 1988 and through 1991.
I am not sure when Force introduced the BIM ignition but I think my manual cover these.

The prime side is a thick wire with less windings and normally about 0,5-1,5 Ohm and your prime side is the thin wire and the mounting base of the coil (ground).
The secondary side is a thin wire with much windings and the resistance can vary widely.
I know the OMC coils for the small and midrange OBs from late 70es and early 80es with CDI ignition had a spec. for the secondary side about 250-300 Ohm.
Old school magneto coils has about 3-10KOhm at secondary side.
Your secondary side is the HT wire and mounting base (ground).

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The coils you have are Mercury coils.
They aren't the old points style that would crack and fail.
The best test is get a spark checker and try that.
The pic shows one that you can adjust for strength.
The spark should jump about 7/16" Bright, strong.
shopping

oarless

Cadet
The spark checker I have is being hampered by the plug boots. It has a fat end and the plug boot needs the threaded end of the plug removed to fit the thin socket. Hard to describe. Anyhow, I'll recheck with the old coils after work.

oarless

Cadet
I have a few things coming in from Amazon that'll help. It's nice to get things without going out, but it does add time to anything I do. At least I can WFH :eek:hwell: